Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dougray, Jul 13, 2002.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i am thinking about removing the S-TEK(singular bridge system) and installing a 1 piece bridge(schaller),i've read the more "mass" the bridge has it will give more tone and sustain?,but do you think i'll benefit from this type swap? its a schecter elite 5 string bass
    thanx in advance..

2. IME, the "more mass equals more tone and sustsain" is crap. I've swapped from low mass to high mass without any change what so ever. I change bridges for functionality, and cosmetic reasons, not because I think the sound of the bass will change.

I think the same people are the ones who say stringing through the body changes tone and sustain, too. Also, no difference, IME.

3. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    thanx for reply, but i do know this,i had a MIM fender 5 string jazz bass ,i swapped out the oem bridge for a leo quan baddass5 bridge ,i could hear the difference in tone/sustain,not a jaw dropping change but i could tell..

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    My experience has been exactly the same as C.G.s.

I have never had a change to a heavier bridge make a noticeable difference in tone or sustain.

I do think that the B.A. bridges look sharper than the Fender style bridge. The improvement in appearance is probably worth the expense but if you have tone issues, the problem is almost certainly not with the bridge.

If sustain and tone are what you are trying to improve, I think your money would be better spent on a pup upgrade or even a more frequent string change.

If a bass has poor tone to start with, I can gaurantee that just a bridge change wont make it have a good tone.

I've never seen a bass that that didn't have enough sustain with good strings through a decent amp.

This is just my opinion and YMMV.

Pkr2

5. i just got a gotoh 206 bridge for my essex. it seems to help the tone some make it less dark.