Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Klimbim, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
  2. All that came into my mid at the first glance, was that the neck is not positioned straight. Asymmetric "desing" of the bridge feet is then because the maker of the bridge wanted to position the legs between the f-holes. If so, a very basd idea to compensate misjointed neck. Sure looks ugly, too.
    Just a guess, though. But talkin about funny shped bridges, check out the thread about unusual bass construcrion ideas under "basses".

R2D2

3. That bridge look very similar to a picture I've seen of a bridge made by German Prof. Gerhard A. v. Reumont. According to Prof. Reumont, his bridge has a mass approx. 1/3 less than that of a normal bass bridge. He states that this style bridge results in a "bigger" tone. It is rather strange looking, but it seems very logical to me that reducing the mass would increase the acoustic output.

4. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    Thanks guys...having read the other thread about unusual bass designs, it occurred to me that it might be a bridge designed to have less mass than normal. It would be interesting to see if it really did contribute to a bigger sound though.

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    That's a standard single-heart bridge. The wings have been cut off. Some people think that, as Bob B. said, it opens up the sound. Who knows?...

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    ...the shadow knows...

7. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    The Nose knows...