Bridge replacement '80 Vantage VS

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BearFart, Aug 3, 2005.

1. After a couple of mis-postings, here goes.... I have a 1980 Vantage VS series bass I scored off ebay about 18 months ago... The bridge is like that on the X-series Vantage and very similar to that of the Gibson SG (EB0?) basses and it's cracked :(. Just as well because I never cared for the fact that individual string height is not adjustable and the bridge has an arch to it which is greater than the fretboard radius causing the A and D strings to have significantly higher action than E and G... I machined the saddles to reduce this effect. There is also about a 3-4mm recess under the bridge to deal with so I either need a direct replacement (will Gibson fit? US vs metric?) or a bridge fat enough (105mm x 60mm+) to cover recess after I fill it... I would like an upgrade for sure but not if it might detract from the classic looks of this bass.
    Thanks! -Josh [​IMG]

2. Three studs hold it on in a triangular pattern. Two in the back, 85mm apart and one center front, 55mm from either of the other two measured from center to center.

It's identical to the bridge on Peter Hook's Gibson on the cover of May's BP. Well it's not his bass but something BP used for the shoot.... Anyway, mine is arched and not flat like that one. Otherwise, it's the same design.

Thanks again!
  3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I can't help you with the bridge situation, but that's the bass model I played in my high school band. I loved the damn thing and I've been looking for another one. Mine had two pickups.
    Thanks for the memories.
  4. Sure thing!
    It's amazing the shape this things in.
  5. Yeah, but I'd really like to get something a little bit nicer. I've seen replacements for the Gibson bridges on the net and I'll get one if there is absolutely no better options.
  6. Follow up almost 8 years later... Still have this bass. Love. Replaced the bridge w/ an EB0 replacement. Much better action, but not quite low enough. May have to pay a pro to set the action correctly. I kept a set of Fender stainless steel flat wounds on the thing for nearly 10 years, and while there was definite tone loss, this bass still still sounded good. Last weekend I put in Dimarzio P127 p/ups and a set of DiAdarrio Chromes (also, flat wound)... Since my amp is at my practice space, I won't know how it sounds, or how good my amateur soldering job was until Saturday. I'll be sure to let our singer know to pack one of his basses, just in case... Overall, a quality made bass imo.