Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by McHack, Jun 11, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, I tried tacking this issue onto the end of another one of my threads & it didn't get noticed...

Has anyone here ever had a bass, that originally had a Gotoh 206 bridge (which is a string thru bridge) & then replaced it with a Hipshot A-type bridge?

My worry is that, the ferrule holes,, aren't in the right spot...
    If the fit doesn't work out, that's ok,, I'll just stick w/ the Gotoh bridge. I know, y'all are thinking, "Just buy one & measure it out, dummy!"... I just don't want to have to buy a bridge to verify it...

2. So you don't want to buy one...

Here's a solution: Go to http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/hardware.htm

and download the diagram for the 206 to your system. Take the drawing and print it at the proper scale. The dimensions are listed so you can make it match perfectly. Then compare the full size drawing to the location on your body. You'll be able to get a good idea of fit without having the piece in hand.

Remember - don't try to match the body holes to the diagram. Map the proper location based on scale length measured from the 12th fret.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Thx for the reply, Ham...

I know that's what I have to do, to properly place the bridge. I'm just hoping that the ferrule holes in the two bridges are in the same position, in relation to the string saddles. That's really my main concern, because I don't want two sets of string-thru holes in the body...

I'm not sure I splained myself correctly, I tend to over-emphasize unimportant details, at times... The body from Warmoth is being shipped finished, & screw holes AND ferrule holes are pre-drilled for use w/ the Gotoh string-thru bridge.

I'll map out the two templates & see how they match up, as a pre-indicator.

4. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I'd seriously doubt they match up. The 206 string through holes are pretty far back from the saddles... these through-holes don't match up with any other bridge I'm aware of.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Gah,

Well, I haven't had time to mock up some templates, & I don't have the body yet to mape it out... So,,,,,I'll probably just stick w/ the 206 then.

Next go around, I'll just go w/o any pre-drilled bridge holes, so I can go w/ the part I'd rather have. Y'all really should at least offer Hipshot products.

6. Um, your avatar is really beginning to upset me. I want to grab that guy and MAKE him stop that!

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    BTW, in case anyones interested, this SHOULD work... However, because my body is pre-drilled, that'll leave the front two mounting holes exposed....

So, I'll just go w/ the Gotoh unit.