Bridge replacement question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have a Peavey Milestone II (P Bass copy) that I am considering replacing the bridge on. Your recommendations appreciated. I have seen a "no name" replacement bridge on ebay that is described as a "heavy" P Bass bridge for about 17.00 and a '62 reissue bridge for about the same price. Would either of these make enough difference in tone that would be worth the effort in putting on? Here is a picture of the reissue---
  2. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Here is a pic of the "Heavy" bridge.
  3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Sorry about the Bitmap!!!! Feel free to paint away!!!
  4. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    If it were up to me, I'd take the heavy bridge for three reasons. First supposedly a bridge with more mass contributes more vibration to the body. Second It looks sturdier which give you a tighter sound. Third it just plain looks better.:D
  5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    IMO the lighter aluminum bridges (i.e. Hipshot Type "A") actually sound better and add less weight to your bass. I'd be more concerned with features such as side-to-side string adjustment, individual intonation adjustment, saddle lock down, and quick top load (strings) features. Which ever bridge you decide on, make sure that it's string spacing (ex. 3/4 , 11/16...) matches your basses neck.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree with the preceding posts. In my case, I replaced a stock bridge on an early 1980s Jazz Bass with a Badass II, one of the first "heavy" bridges that actually came out in the 1970s. The difference in your tone will often be subtle, others may claim that it made a big difference. I noticed subtle improvement in my bass's sustain, high end, and bottom with the Badass II.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would go with Hipshot. I have one of each Model A and B on my basses, and they are both fantastic.