Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Replacement (six string)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Maurice ElDarko, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Ok I am after another six string bridge, but here's the go

I have a Cort A6. The bridge is pretty stable but the saddle design is a piece of crap. They keep comin loose and rattling.

I wanna get just a normal bridge (not too much to ask??), But the bridge I have is nestled inside the wood, so there are bits carved out here and there.

Is it possible to pull out the bridge I have now, fill it all in and whack in another bridge, or will it not work cause of the hole where my current bridge is??

-'rice

PS. I'm also upgrading my pickups, but this I can handle

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Sounds like a pretty involved project. If it is the height adjustment screws that are coming loose you might try some "locktight" on them. That would be a whole lot easier. You should be able to find it at any hardware/auto store. Just put a drop on each thread. I am assuming alot here as I am guessing that it is the standard saddle with double height,(action) adjustment screws which are vibrating loose. Good Luck.

3. That could turn into a pretty involved project if the bridge is recessed into the body. You could fill it, but I wouldn't recommend it, because you may not get very good transfer of vibrations between the body and the bass, and loose sustain. It may be possible to put individual saddles on it, but that might look weird. I would try to correct the problem with your bridge first, or try to find a bridge that is of the same dimensions that would fit into the recess.

Hope this helps,
    Geoff

4. Yeah well my bridge is weird,

The saddles are just like srews, you take the string of and turn them around to raise or lower them (you can even screw em all the way out), and then there is a nut at the base which fastens them into position.

It's the nut that's the bitch. It keeps getttin loose on me, darn it

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I would try the locktite trick on the threads where the screw/nut goes if I am reading the design right. They may call "locktite" something else in Australia but I am sure it is available. You might even try a little white glue. Get them where you want them and just put a drop on each and let it harden. Good Luck. Hope I have helped.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The problem with lock-tite or glue is that once you put it on, you can't adjust it! If you ever plan to change strings, you can't adjust intonation or action...not good. You can remove it, but why would you want to spend 30 minutes removing lock-tite every time you changed strings?

If the bridge is just recessed, you should be able to put any bridge you want back in it. If it's a little bigger than the current one, you'll have to carve a tiny bit of the back of the bass so the bridge can lay flush in the recess. If it's smaller...you'll have some uglyness. Is it just a regular square bridge?

7. Yeah it's not your average bridge. It would work alright it's just that the nuts that hold the saddles on place keep comin unstuck. I can live with it, I was just wondering how I could replace it if I wanted to

[​IMG]

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oooo, ouch. Maybe one of Warwick's bridges would work on your bass?

9. Ahh I might just live with it

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have used locktite on threads before and it just made them tacky. It didn't really bond but just kind of made the threads sticky enough to hold the screw where it was adjusted. When I adjusted with new strings it was not a problem, the screws still turned. It is just a tiny drop. I wouldn't use super glue or epoxy. "Locktite" is formulated for disasembly, but to hold things in place unless you want to move it. And I still think a little Elmers (white glue) would work. It doesn't bond to metal but would harden enough to hold the screw/nut where you want it. That seemed like a much simpler and resonable solution IMHO. At least worth a try.

11. There are different types of Loctite available for different applications. Bizzaro is right about it being able to be used for removable applications. The type for this is the Loctite Blue formulation. I don't have a bottle in front of me but I think it's the #540. At any rate, it's blue and most hardware and auto stores carry it. The more permanent Loctite (#570 I think) is red and hardens completely. This version needs heat to loosen and shouldn't come anywhere near a bass. One thing to do with the screws before using the Loctite is to clean them with alcohol

I think I understand the workings of this bridge even though I've never seen one in person. Before I went the Loctite route, I would get a very small open end wrench to fit the nut under the saddle and attempt to tighten it completely while holding the slotted saddle in place with a screwdriver. Very similiar to adjusting the valve lash on an overhead cam engine :) I've got some of these extremely small wrenches - they came as part of a set with the very small screwdrivers and were quite inexpensive.

12. You never know, a few toothpicks and some glue might do the trick

:D :D

As always, thanks for your help, perhaps I shall live with my bridge.

13. Hmm. I tried out some cort 4's and 5's. They each had the rattle at the fortress style bridge. It's a bad design, and I doubt you could find an exact replacement that would work correctly.

Loctite won't help that design, it rattles on the perch. It's not a loose screw, it's just poor manufacturing tolerances.

14. Ahh, they play really well, long as you keep the bridge tightened.
    I've seen worse bridges, (and better ones)

15. Hmmm...Thinks a small hidden repair for a loose fitting straplock is tooooo much ("stupidest idea I"ve ever heard") but is ready to ditch the stock bridge, fill the inlet and mount an aftermarket in it's place.

And at the same time wants to ridicule sound advice offered in the helpful spirit of the Setup forum. Sounds like Mr. Maury wants to make a name for himself.

16. Awwww... there there, it's still your forum