1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge Replacement Tips

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gonzorob, Apr 29, 2009.

1. I've got a Gotoh 201 coming in this friday to replace the worn out bridge on my Squier Jazz. I know the holes are gonna line up and this should be a relatively easy mod, but does anyone have any advice on things I should be aware of?

Just wanted to check because I assume that I should be able to put it on, string and set up with no problems.

Thanks!

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    my tip is to take off your old bridge and adjust the new one so it's as close as possible in terms of saddle height and distance of the saddle from the screw holes... do this OFF the bass, with two bridges side by side... far easier to get in the ballpark before putting your strings on than doing a setup from scratch when the bridge is screwed on

this is assuming the old bridge was set up correctly

the Gotoh 201 is a bit higher even at its lowest saddle height than a Fender bridge (the bass plate is thicker) so you MAY need to do a neck shim... I didn't have to on mine, but I heard of some people who did

oh, make sure the little earth wire will press nicely against the bridge when screwed on... don't accidentally push it down the hole

3. Check.

Good Idea about setting saddle heights and such before I put it on.

I had heard of some neck shim issues with new bridges so I will keep that in mind.

Thanks!