bridge replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jucas, Dec 14, 2003.

1. jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    First off, I'm new here so hey everyone.

I've been contemplating getting a new bridge for my bass. Its a 74 precision with a couple of parts changed, but unfortunately the previous owner didn't feel like spending much in the bridge department. Any suggestions as to a quality replacement bridge? I was thinking about one of the newer fender ones that let you string through the body.
  2. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've had no experience, but I've heard that Badass bridges do wonders to a Fender...
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Same here. I'm wondering what a heavier bridge would do to the sound of my Fender Jazz V. I've heard that you have to file the saddles on the Bad ass bridges yourself though. I'm afraid that I'd screw them up. I know that when I put a wilkerson bridge on my Ibanez SR885 and it gave it lots of added sustain. I bought the Wilkerson from carvin back when they put them on their basses but they have since changed to another brand of bridge so I don't know where to get them now.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I think the Fender Jazz™ and Precision™ sound and feel require a low-mass bent metal fender style bridge to work. I'm not a big fan of string-through-body on that bass because it requires a lot of work like drilling through the body. However I like the bent metal through-body bridge on my passive Fender Jazz V a lot.

If I were in your shoes I'd look for a new vintage style bent metal Bridge form Fender to get back to the original P style from '74.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Hi jucas....thanks for your first post and welcome aboard!!!!

BadAss II bridges work great on P Basses (IMO). They drop right in so you don't have to worry about drilling extra holes.

I've owned a few P basses over the years including an Am Hot Rodded P with through body stringing. To me, using a BadAss II feels/sounds a lot like stinging through the body with a std Fender Am bridge.

At present, I have only one P bass in my arsenal; a MIM P with stock bridge and DiMarzio Will Power Middle pickup. I do have a BadAss II bridge for it, but removed it a while back when I was thinking about selling the bass...after I changed my mind (about selling) I never got around to doing a bridge swap again and like the bass a lot the way it is.