Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge/saddle problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist66, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this. But anyways, I have a mexi-p, and i'm having some problems with the bridge/saddle. It seems that lately I have to keep adjusting the saddles and raising the height of them to eliminate fret buzz. This works fine for a while, but a day or two later the saddles have already started working their way back down. This especially happens on the G-string saddle. Is their a way to fix this, and if so, what is it? Or am I better off just buying a new bridge?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    ...move to setup please...

3. Hey guys, figuring you guys may be able to help me. I have a mexi-p, and i'm having some problems with the bridge/saddle. It seems that lately I have to keep adjusting the saddles and raising the height of them to eliminate fret buzz. This works fine for a while, but a day or two later the saddles have already started working their way back down. This especially happens on the G-string saddle. Is their a way to fix this, and if so, what is it? Or am I better off just buying a new bridge?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am, thank you.

You might try putting a tiny dab of loktite, or if you don't have that, clear fingernail polish, on the threads of the screws after you get the bridge set.

Just don't use too much, or you will never be able to adjust it again.

The guys in Setup are bound to have more suggestions.

5. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I have never heard of this problem, but I would think the only way the saddle moves down are if the screws are not tight. Do you get any play in the screws if you move your allen wrench from side to side. If so, after playing for a while the vibration and the constant downward string pressure could be cause it to walk.
    Like I said, I have never heard of it, but something is not keeping the screws in place.
    YOur sure its not a change in the neck tension, right?

6. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
  7. Yeah, the screws are pretty loose. I was suggested to use some locktite or clear fingernail polish...so I might try that. I might just go and buy a badass bridge and replace the cheap stock bridge, so we'll see. oh and sorry for the double post, i didnt know the other post would be moved.

8. Once you get your bridge adjusted, a little dab of loctite oughtta fix you up. You can also use a little dab of superglue (be careful not to get any on your finish). It will set hard in the thread gap, but will not bond with the metal, so when you go to adjust it again, it will break free.

9. alright thanks for the advice. i'm gonna go try that and see if it helps.