1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge Saddle Problems

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by billsworld, Mar 16, 2008.

1. billsworld

billsworld

Dec 2, 2007
    KCMO
    I've not heard of anyone else having this problem, but wanted to see if I was the only one. On my late '80s Lynx, I had a problem with the bridge saddles pitting. By the time they were a year old it had gotten bad enough that they were cutting strings. I tried filing out the pits, but under the chrome the metal was so soft that the strings dug in even worse, so I got a replacement set from the factory and all was well for about a year.

Then the problem started happening again. I again replaced them and again it worked for about a year before they started cutting strings again. After several rounds of replacing saddles, I got fed up and replaced the factory bridge with a Schaller with roller adjusting saddles. That was about 15 years ago and I've not had another problem in that area.

So, am I the only one in the world who's had this happen? Or are there others? Just curious.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    tarnish and mild pitting are not uncommon, but to the point where it's killing strings, and the problem is repeated, with that frequency...all that seems to indicate something else is going on, to me.
    acidic skin, something in the air...dunno....very weird tho.

3. Huh? Got pics?

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The early saddles were cast zinc, Currently they are supposedly chromed brass.

So sad though, the new ones won't fit without filing the sides by about .005 on each.

Search the Historical Parts Thread on BABP for details.

Jim