Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Saddle Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Time Divider, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    When I bought my brand new EBMM SR4 in March, I immediately took it to a setup guy with an outstanding reputation (among others, he sets up and repairs all of Darryl Steurmer's guitars, Phil Collins' guitarist). Anyhow, there's something he did, and I'm just wondering if I need to be concerned.

The saddle for the G string is actually further from the nut than is the D string. Normally I'm used to seeing (looking at it from the top, as if you had it on) the bridge saddles angle from right to left as you look from the top down.

The thing sounds perfectly in tune, but this defies the physical logic that the bridge saddles should be a little closer to the nut to compensate for each progressively thinner string. But then I saw a couple of pics here on TB that show the same thing: E A D progressively closer to the nut, then BAM! The G string is further away, more like in the position of the A string.

Is this something I need to concern myself with? I assume the guy who set it up knows what he's doing.

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Bump. Anybody?

3. This is weird, normaly you get replys to your topic in 5 minutes, ive been watching this topic for 2 hours now nobody replied :S

4. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    No, I supposed I should. I have pretty good relative pitch and haven't felt the need, but I think I'll do that. Thx.