Bridge Saddle Spring Vibration

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Has anyone experienced a rattling sound coming from the bridge saddle springs while slapping? I have a MIM Fender P-Bass and the springs give off a subtle but annoying rattle. If you have experienced this and figured out a way to make it stop, please let me know.

2. A tiny dab of clear silicone sealant on the springs, perhaps. We have a brand here in Oz called "Silastic". Once you adjust your springs, you'll have to remove the sealant and reapply. But it oughta do the trick.

But to answer your first question. No, I've never had this problem before.
  3. can always buy come higher tension springs so you don't have to dab sealants on the thing
  4. no, no...that would be too easy and then what's an Aussie to do with the case of silastic that he's purchased?

Silastic works on EVERYTHING! It's the best thing since DUCT TAPE! :)
  5. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey guys,

Both of your ideas seem like they would work very well; however, at closer look, I found the real problem. I noticed that it wasn't the spring that was vibrating at all. It was the E, A, and D strings lightly touching the spring that created the vibration. They are located so close together. To fix the problem I put a small piece of fabric between the string and the spring. Problem solved. Thanks again for your suggestions.

6. duct tape still rules!

long live DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!