1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge saddles almost all the way up.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by magic8161, Aug 29, 2017.

1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    The bridge saddle screws are almost all the way up and the action is still a little to low for me. do i need to tweek the truss rod a bit? I'm trying TI string and they are real floppy not thinking i like them yet. they hit the fret board when i'm playing this is why i want to raise the action.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I would take the neck off and see if there's a shim underneath there.

3. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Brand new bass.

4. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    I had it off and no shim.

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    How's the relief?
    If good, you can shim at the front of the pocket if necessary...

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If it's a brand new bass I'd return and exchange it as that sounds like there's a problem. I've owned lots and lots and lots of basses, and never encountered that. I've had the opposite, where the saddles were flat against the bridge, but having them all the way up could and I think will cause problems somewhere down the line.

Do you know how to sight a neck? Is there an incredible amount of back bow? Have you loosened the truss rod at all and did it make any difference?

Also, what kind of bass is it?

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Don't just got adjusting the truss rod willy nilly. Learn how to check the neck relief & adjust accordingly.

magic8161 likes this.
  8. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Fender precision. You know it may be the the jazz flats I have. They are way to loose feeling . I am going to switch and see

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Probably a daft question, but I assume we are talking standard tuning?

10. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    yes

11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Do you hit your strings hard? I could get TIs on a P to have really low action usually (but I play with a very soft touch), so I'm asking.

12. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    I do play kind of hard

13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    You can always put a shim in the back part of the neck pocket (opposite of what people normally do with shimming). That will angle the neck downward slightly, and you'll have more height on your bridge saddles.

gebass6 likes this.
  14. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I have TI's on 2 basses you need to lighten your playing style. I had to adjust how I play. A lot of guys can't play TI's because they are loose feeling. Labella low Tension Flats are a good alternative to TI's. A little more tension and great tone.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  15. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you had the neck off are you sure you got it seated properly when you put it back together? The screws should slide through the body without resistance, if they don't they can cause the neck to seat improperly, leaving gaps and an elevated neck that may or may not be crooked in the pocket.

Zooberwerx and Geri O like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021