1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge saddles falling down

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ezmar, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

Jul 8, 2010
    Okay, I've been having this problem for a while now, with every instrument I've had. I set the String saddles to the height I like, and eventually, withing a week or two, they've fallen down. It really sucks on my bass, though, as it happens more drastically, more often, and I don't have the proper allen wrench on hand, it disappeared. Does anyone know why this might be happening? I play an indonesian-made Fender Squier.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Is your neck somehow moving? :confused:

EVERY instrument you've owned? Is someone messing with you? :confused:

3. It could be that your threads are now crossed. You might need a new set of saddles, but here's a last minute trick you might want to try before buying new sads: Swap the first and fourth and second and third saddles respectively. You will therefore have to use the other side of the saddle, and in so doing the saddles "legs" will have to bite on the other side of the saddle threads. It worked for me.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    One word: Loctite.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've used the same bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails clear nail polish I borrowed from my wife over 20 years ago for the times I've had this issue. A drop on the string height adjustment screw threads where they meet the saddle threads and waiting until it dried is all it took to set them until I wanted to change them and then it breaks free easily enough with a bit of torque with a screwdriver or allen key as appropriate.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Two words: blue Loctite. The green and red varieties require heat for removal.

Somebody earlier asked the question "...but what if I need to adjust the saddles?" A clean, appropriately sized and applied hex key will break the bond. The remaining residue in the threads should gum things up enough to prevent the screws from working themselves out.

Riis

7. BlountEdge

BlountEdge I play (mostly) jazz basses Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Former contributing writer for Bassics Magazine
    I agree. Loctite works, particularly on vintage Fender saddles.

8. Ezmar

Ezmar

Jul 8, 2010
    Well, I've had one bass and one guitar, and the guitar never did it that much, so... yeah.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021