Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge saddles

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thetaurus, Mar 17, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i think this is where this goes, but anyway...

because of how i play, i kinda rusted out the saddles on my bridge. well...i'm going to be changing my pickups soon, and going over my entire bass, and i've decided to also replace the saddles. i have an mia jazz, and i was talking to a friend of mine who is also a really good tech. he's primarily a guitarist, but used to play bass in this one band. he also played an mia jazz. his suggestion is to use the vintage style saddles that have just one notch, instead of the new american ones that have the 5 slots to change string spacing. well...i don't care about changing the string spacing, because i just want the strings to be lined up evenly over the pole pieces of the pickups. my friend said he did this and it was so much better than using the stock fender saddles. what do you all think, and what would you recommend using? thanks.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Am I missing something in your post that should be obvious?

How in the world did you manage to play in a manner that rusted out your saddles?

If your friend is a good tech, why do you need input from people that you don't even know?

I don't know where you are going to buy saddles for your bridge that have either multiple or single grooves. What kind of opinion do you need? You've already decided what you want.

I really don't mean to be ugly, but your post doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Pkr2

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    it actually makes perfect sense. i play in a rock band. i don't stand in one place the whole time i play. i sweat alot. my right hand usually anchors on the bridge. that's how it gets rusted.

i asked because i usually value the opinions and suggestions of people/bass players on this board. if you don't have an opinion on what i asked, you should save your effort.

i guess i don't understand why you would bash someone for asking a perfectly sensible question. lame.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I don't understand how the kind of saddle you're using has anything to do with the rust... Anyway, pkr2 is basically saying that you already made up your mind - if you don't need the ability to customize your spacing, then get plain barrel saddles.

I (and plenty of other people, including pkr2) would be hard pressed to come up with a way to rust the saddles. I've never had that problem. Don't be so defensive, you just asked a question that may have seemed totally normal in your head, but, since we all don't live in your head, we all can't make jumps from thought A to thought B sometimes. Some folks on talkbass can be snotty, but sometimes they're justified. All's good, though; get barrel saddles, and you'll be fine.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    i'm sorry you chose to be offended by my response to your post.

Bashing you was not my intent.

However, I stand by what I said to start with: your post, as it was written, makes no sense !

What is your Question?

You state that you want to change saddles and you have two options. Your choice is to use a saddle with or w/o multiple grooves.

You don't ask for an opinion; you make a statement.

You state that your friend is a good tech.

If your friend is a good tech, why do you need opinions from people that you don't even know?
    His being a good or bad tech is not decided by an opinion poll on TB.

You finish your post by asking our opinion.

Our opinion on what? The fact that your saddle is rusted? The fact that your friend pointed out a certain saddle to use? The fact that you sweat a lot?
    The fact that...........

Ok I'll give you my honest opinion. A definite YES. No doubt about it! All the statements in your post are true.

Unless you want to hear NO. In which case none of the statements you made are true. Just let me know, I'll be glad to tell you whatever you want to hear.

Pkr2

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    IMO, I'd get a bridge with threaded saddles because you never know just how well the strings will line up with the pickup's pole pieces, and the threaded saddles will allow you to line them up better (plus the threaded saddles just look better, IMO).

Here is a place that sell decent ones, and all kinds of other bridges too:

http://www.allparts.com

And here is a direct link to the bridge I'm recommendeing (at All Parts):

http://portweb.webmonde.net/scripts...BB 0355-001&catalog=allparts&template=preview

You may want to make sure that your bass has 5 screws for the bridge because some of the later Fenders use only 3 screws. And also, All Parts sells the saddles seperately (with screws and springs), but for only $2 more you can buy the whole bridge. But they also list those seperate saddles as being brass (and it doesn't say that for the saddles on the complete bridge, so if that's the case maybe they won't rust out on you). But if you call All Parts I'm sure they can probably tell you if the seperate saddles are different from the ones that come on the complete bridge.

Are you confused enough yet?

If you really want to get fancy, they have some saddles that are solid Titanium, but they are not threaded and they are expensive. See them here:

http://portweb.webmonde.net/scripts...BP 0025-009&catalog=allparts&template=preview

I hopes this info helps you somewhat.

7. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    zoombywoof5050--thanks for the response.

pkr2--i guess i see what you're saying, but the fact is this...i want to know people's thoughts on going from using the threaded saddles to using the others. sorry if i didn't plain out ask that, but i figured anyone that read the post would get that.
    yeah...i don't know any of you, but i've read many things on this board that lead me to believe that many of the people here know what they're talking about. that's why i ask. if i had all the answers, i wouldn't be here asking any questions. it's that simple.

conical johnson--i know the saddle itself doesn't have anything to do with the rust. i'm just wondering about a replacement that will fit and line up correctly over the pickups. anyway...you may be hard pressed to find a way to rust the saddles that way, but the fact is...it happened. i know why it happened. that's not the point. all i want are peoples' opinions on using different saddles.

WILL IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE GOING FROM THREADED SADDLES TO BARREL SADDLES?

ARE THERE ANY DIRECT REPLACEMENT BARREL SADDLES FOR MIA FENDERS THAT LINE UP CORRECTLY OVER THE POLE PIECES?

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Sorry, I misinformed you earlier.
    The seperate saddles that they sell are not brass, they are nickel, and appear to be the same as the ones that come on the complete bridge. The bridge is $18 (I just bought one and can say that it's indinguishable from the original bridge). The saddles, seperately, are $16 for a set of 4.

Here is a direct link to the page showing the non-threaded and the Titanium saddles:

http://portweb.webmonde.net/scripts...template=dollarsweb&sorton=Filename&offset=40

And here is a direct link to the page with the threaded saddles:

http://portweb.webmonde.net/scripts...template=dollarsweb&sorton=Filename&offset=80