Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Size

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Aroneng, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Aroneng

Aroneng Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    What impact does bridge size have on the tone and volume of the DB? For example, switching from a bridge with a feet width of 5 3/4" to a larger bridge width of 6 1/4". (1" = 25.4mm)

Currently my DB has a 5 3/4" bridge. Distance from F hole center to F hole center is 10". Distance from left F hole center to bass bar is 2 1/4". This places the bass bar to the left of center of the left bridge foot. Soundpost is centered below right bridge foot.

Are there some general rules or limits that should be followed? I read the article of installing a new bridge from (all hail) Bob G. site, but this doesn't address my first question.

Comments, suggestions, thanks.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Foot width can make a huge difference. But that's all I know. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Ideally both post and bar should be centered on the bridge feet. If your bass bar is sitting outside of center than it would be best to get a wider bridge. If this is not in your budget than definately have your post adjusted to a position that mirrors where the bar is[outside of center]. This can have a definate impact on tone.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Be careful using a bridge much wider than the distance between f-holes at their top. This can cause top sinkage.

5. Aroneng

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Ray, Jeff, and Arnold

Thanks for your advice!

I plan to install a wider bridge hopefully before summer. Jeff, you mentioned one brand of bridges on your website, any others as a second choice incase of availability issues.

6. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Where did you intend to get a bridge?

7. Aroneng

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Meisel sells Despiau bridges, Lemur sells the Aubert. Or perhaps somewhere else...? Have someone else in mind?

8. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Both those would be fine, you might also want to try International Violin Co.