1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bridge tilt question

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by Steinway, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Steinway

Steinway

Dec 26, 2007
    Being of the mind that if it ain't broke don't fix it--I just notice that the bridge is leaning toward the scroll and the feet are squarely standing on the belly on the scroll side, and about a 64 of an inch in the air on the bottom tailpiece side. Should I leave it alone? It sounds fine to me. No buz, etc.
    cheers,
    Steinway

2. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    "Danger, Danger, Wil Robinson!"
    Fix it or lose it! Feet are meant to be flat (on the floor) on the belly, with a straight, perpedicular-to-the-belly stance when looking at the tail-piece side of the bridge. The bridge should be carved with a light tapper (toward this straight tail-piece side) on the fb side. But the bridge should look "straight-up" with no warping. If any warping exists, you know that you are not getting efficient transfer of vibrations. It may sound good, but could be BETTER with a straight bridge that is cut so that the feet are ALL in complete contact with the top. If your adjusters (have them?) are leaning in any direction, that too is a formula for bridge fall. I generally do not use adjusters because over time they do exactly that...cause a kind of warp.
    Good luck!
    Patrick