Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Tone Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassduder, Jun 13, 2002.

1. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    I don't know if this was the right forum, but i've come to enjoy playing by the bridge and my tone is really thin, and I was wondering what I could do to beef it up. I looking for something similar to a MusicMan tone. To let you know I have a Fender Squire Jazz and a Korg A5 pedal with a compressor, 5-band EQ...So yeah can anyone give me any tips or any way to dial up my bass, pedal and amp?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    How close is "close to the bridge"? If it's between the bridge and the pickup, you're working against the string to cause vibration. Moving closer to the neck will give you the beefier sound you're looking for. Try playing over the neck pickup, and see if that helps.

3. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    SuperDuck, do you know how to get the growly tone by playing close to the bridge or something similiar to a Stingray sound?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I don't know what your five-band eq has in terms of frequencies, you'll probably want to futz (that's a technical term) with the high mids. If it's growl you want, you will be doing a lot of fiddling with the three middle frequency knobs. The low mids, around 200, will help give your tone some oomph, and the upper mids, like, say, 800hz, will help bring out some growl.

The ultimate fact of the matter is that your Jazz bass will sound like a Jazz bass and a Stingray will sound like a Stingray. You have different pickups and a different bass, so you're not going to nail the Stingray tone, I'm sorry to say. But with some effective midrange eq tweaking, you can get closer.

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

You might try using your EQ to boost around 1500Hz. This will add a lot of sizzle and edge to your sound. This will likely also add some fret buzz and string click. This will sound awful by itself, but actually sounds good in a loud rock band.

6. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    Well i'm trying to look for a sound with some growl and alot of bottom end...heres the frequencies on my pedal...also do you have ideas for a nice chorus and some compression

Korg A-5 Frequencies:
    60Hz
    100Hz
    550Hz
    1kHz
    6kHz

My amp just has basic EQ: Bass, Mid, Treble