1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge upgrade for Fullerton Ventura P/J

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by heymelbs, Aug 23, 2007.

1. heymelbs

heymelbs

Aug 23, 2007
    Northern Iowa
    This is my first post by the way, so hoping for some good advice.:cool: I have the Fullerton Ventura P/J bass and would first like to upgrade the bridge. Any recommendations? Will the Quan BA II fit be a direct replacement for mine, or is there something else?

Attached Files:

2. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Well, from the photo it looks like you have a five-bolt bridge, so most fender direct replacements could fit. You might do some measuring before spending your hard-earned dough, just to make sure. The BAII is good, but pricey, especially if you don't feel comfortable filing the saddles yourself and have to pay a tech to do it. I just installed a Gotoh 201 on my Fender MIM P for the very reason, and so far I have nothing but good things to say about it. Definately a huge improvement over the stock bridge, affordable and it looks better too.

3. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    +1 on the Gotoh. One of the main attractions to the BA2 is the fact that it is high mass. The Gotoh is a higher mass bridge and the saddles don't need to be filed. It's also significantly cheaper in price :smug: $30 at Warmoth, $40 at Basspartsresource. Aesthetically, it's also similar to the Fender bridge, where the Badass is ugly :p

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Moved to Setup

5. heymelbs

heymelbs

Aug 23, 2007
    Northern Iowa
    Ok I understand the saddle thing because I've seen the BAII in pictures, but explain to me a little more about the high mass thing.

The price seems good with the Gotoh and I see that there some that prefer the Gotoh over the BAII...

Is this a fairly easy mod???

Apologize for initially posting this in the wrong thread, first time out here...

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No apologies needed, welcome aboard!

High mass means how much metal is in the bridge. Your bridge is the classic Fender style, with one bent plate of metal with holes in it with round solid saddles on a three point screw mounting system. It's actually an elegant design IMO, it's simplicity and range/ease of adjustment is significant. I like that design myself and I like the sonics that it imparts. However, very cheaply made bridges of this style sometimes have problems with saddles moving.

A "High Mass" bridge uses a cast or machined hunk of metal instead of the bent plate on your bridge. There are subtle, almost imperceptible differences in tone and not-so-subtle differences in string feel IME between high-mass and low-mass bridges, and different people have different preferences. Some very high end basses come with low mass bridges modelled after yours because people like the tone and playability they impart.

Check out this thread for a bunch of pictures of different style bridges.

If you get a Fender drop-in replacement like the well respected Gotoh 201 it will be an extremely easy mod, just a little more work than changing strings.

The "Badass II" bridge was a major innovation when it was introduced in the 70s, however it has some IMO significant functinoal drawbacks, not the least of which is the fact that the saddles need to be notched. The basic high-mass concept has been improved on many times since Leo Quann introduced his drop-in Fender replacement "Badass II", including their own substantially better "Badass III".

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Philbiker +1

If you must change your bridge to a high mass one, I suggest the Gotoh 201 also. High mass/cost ratio.

I have tried Badass, Gotoh 201, and the standard bridge on numerous basses, and never heard much if any difference.