1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge Upgrade. Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monroe55, Apr 1, 2009.

1. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Why do people upgrade their bridges? How does it effect the sound of a bass? Is BadassII the bridge to have? Where do I get'em?:confused:

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    None of my basses have upgraded bridges. But some of my bridges have upgraded basses.....

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Well, if it's an "upgrade" then the person thought something was wrong with the stock birdge. But my experience is that most people only change bridges without actually upgrading anything.

Higher mass, better adustability of string spacing, different string anchoring, more or less rattling, etc. are all what different bridges purport to offer. Me, I like the stock bridge on my VS '62 P bass. It sounds good to me. I've put BA bridges on for people and didn't think it was ever an upgrade, but it was a change.

Here's the thing. I think before people start changing things, they should really listen to their bass (NOT the amp and electronics). The acoustic nature of the sound determines what the electronics can do. If the unamplified sound is twangy, brittle, full of attack, but lacks blossom, bloom, and support then there's nothing you can change with the guts or the bridge that'll fix it. But if the natural acoustic sound is too fat and you want more sustain, maybe a new bridge will fix that.

But just changing a bridge because you don't like the "flimsy bent metal" bridge doesn't really fix anything.

jte

4. I've replaced the BAII with a Hipshot A style bridge on my Geddy Lee just because I HATE pulling the string through a tiny hole, and I change strings alot (trying new ones or keeping my roundwounds fresh every couple of months). Any sustain issues are moot IMO>

5. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    All I have to say is this. . . 2tek

6. I upgraded the stock Fender bridge on my 73 Precision because the bridge saddles simply wouldn't stay put!!. I was working a 5 night a week residency and I used to keep a small screwdriver sitting on top of my amp so I could jack up the bridge saddles between songs when the fret buzz got too bad!!.

I upgraded to a Badass in 1978 that actually stayed put and thence to a Brass Monstrosity (I don't recall the manufacturer) I picked up in San Jose in around 1984. However, I will say that after upgrading to a Brass Bridge the guys in the band remarked on the improvement in tone I got as compared to the (original??) Badass which was made of Mazak.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Reasons to change the bridge:

1. can't adjust action to your taste
    2. can't intonate strings properly
    3. old bridge is broken and replacement parts aren't available
    4. you rest your hand on the bridge for palm muting and the exposed parts are uncomfortable

Tone changes from a bridge swap? Crap shoot at best.

8. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    The only bridge I changed was the one on my SX Precision, and it was for 2 reasons. The saddles had screws that did not adjust smoothly, and the saddles had a tendency to slip apart and change string spacing. (probably an alignment issue) I replaced it with a Gotoh 201 that has a slot for the outer saddle screws to ride in and quality saddles to fix those 2 issues. All my other basses, mostly Fender P's and J's have the stock bent metal bridges and I like them just fine.

9. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Thanks for those replys. I get the picture. Just was curious why people advertising basses always seem to brag about how "this bass now has a Badass bridge" or something. I didn't want to burn any bridges (ugh), my bass's bridge is just fine.

10. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    bad ass II are discontinued by the way..