1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge woes (Wilkinson). Where can I find Schaller bridge shims?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Senator, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    I have a Wilkinson TW4 bridge (aluminum base plate + brass saddles) and I fabricated a gorgeous shiny 1/4" solid aluminum shim. Unfortunately, the saddles lift up every time I strum the strings and they clack back down.

Has anyone else experienced this with this bridge? Any remedies?
    They were popular in the '90s. Carvin had them on several of their basses. It's a nice concept, with the complete adjustability and all, but I can't stand the saddle lift.

The bass that the Wilkinson is on has a bit of a neck dive, so I wanna take this opportunity to find a nice hefty brass bridge with shims.

The only other option I've seen is the Schaller Roller Bridge and I've noticed that they have shims. Are the shims made of brass?

StewMac sells it with a shim, I think. (Can anyone confirm this?)
    Anyway, if they do, I'd need another shim to match the height of the shim I made since the Schaller shims are 1/8" each and the one I made is 1/4". I haven't been able to find any retailers of the bass shim. I'd prefer getting black shims.

2. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I have great luck with one I have on a customized fender

3. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Thanks for the response, Lee.

I "fixed" it by tightening the screws. Whodathunkit? :rolleyes: :oops:
    There sure are a lot of adjustment screws on that thing.

I've decided to not replace the bridge, but I'm not sure what to do about the slight neck dive. This bass doesn't balance as well as the others. I've even installed Hipshot Ultralites. :rollno: