1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge wont intonate?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WavyGravy, Aug 1, 2012.

1. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have this bridge from a P-bass. When I turn the screw to adjust intonation it doesn't work. I've tried lifting the string as I adjust it, different strings, super accurate tuner, nothing will work. Why doesn't it work?

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Stripped or wrong sized screw possibly just turning in the saddle?

3. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't see how that's possible. It's from a bass not even two months old. Hasn't been touched with a screwdriver more than 3 or 4 times (by me, attempting to intonate). I've just been avoiding playing high register notes but now it's just pissing me off.

4. 20YearNoob

20YearNoob

Mar 29, 2012
    Sometimes when you loosen the screw on a standard Fender type bent bridge, the screw backs out of the bridge rather than moving the saddle. Give the screwdriver a tap on the end of the handle to make sure the screw is seated all the way against the bottom of the bridge.

5. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    yeah, that's exactly what was happening. Its my first time with this type of bridge, so I was wondering why the screw was backing out so much. So I should just tap the screw?

6. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Can you see the saddle move when you turn the screw?
    Try loosening the string and then turning the screw.
    This is a very simple little "machine".
    There are only three parts. The screw, the saddle, and the bridge itself.
    If the treads are the same on the saddle and the screw it is NOT possible to turn the screw without it moving through the saddle.
    I guess the bottom line is that if you can't figure this out you may not have the mechanical aptitude to perform and intonantion set and you should probably just take it to a guitar tech and pay $25 for a set-up.

7. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Okay. I get where you are at now.
    Loosen the string and as you back the screw out push the head of the screw flush with the flange on the bridge.

8. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    i find a firm push with my thumb on the screw's head will do the trick, without needing to loosen strings

one trick is to loosen the screw too much, push it into place, and then tighten to set intonation. like how you are meant to tune up not down when tuning.

9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I thought you meant the 2 allen screws on either side of the saddle, not the main adjustment screw!
    +1 to all the above..

10. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    K, I see what you guys are saying, but when I back the screw out a little bit, then push it back in, the intonation doesn't change!

11. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Is this an SX bass or something??

12. 20YearNoob

20YearNoob

Mar 29, 2012
    Really, just tap the screwdriver on the end. It'll bump the screw all the way flush with the bridge. The youtube videos linked in the setup sticky talk exactly about this.

13. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Yes it does. If you change the length of the string the intonation changes. Period.
    Not by much but it changes. That is why you need a super accurate tuner, like a Peterson Strobe, to set intonation. You will never get it right by ear, and you will only get it sort of close with something like a little Korg tuner.
    If you don't have the equipment or the experience to do this, like I said, take it to a guitar tech and pay the $25.

14. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Disregard that last post, got it. Thank you