Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MTBassist, May 13, 2002.

1. The bridge that came with my Fender jazz bass is already starting to fall apart, some pieces have already fell off, but still plays ok :)

But what do you all recommend on a new bridge? Are they all pretty much the same? or...are there some really good ones out there that you can purchase

thanks for any information you can give me.

:)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    There are two bridges that I know of that are direct drop-ins, that is, all you have to do is unscrew the old bridge and screw in the new one.

The first is the Gotoh 201, which goes for around $20. This is what I put on my MIM Jazz bass, and I'm pretty happy with it.

The second is the BadAss II, which I have no experience with. It will probably cost twice as much as the Gotoh, and you have to file your own grooves in the saddles where the strings will sit. These drawbacks aside, there are a lot of players that swear by these bridges.

Don't expect a new bridge to radically alter your tone, but it could increase your sustaion. The main advantage I found of my new bridge is that the saddles are in grooves, which prevents horizontal movement.

3. Awesome, thanks super duck.

i will look into the gotoh 201 since that would probably be the easiest for me to switch out

im not expecting my new bridge to change my tone .. i just have to replace the one that i have .. and i dont want to end up with another cheap one

thanks so much for your advise!

4. Just for fun, tell us what parts have fallen off your Fender bridge so that it is still playable??

Every single thing on that bridge is absolutely necessary for proper intonation, tuning and setup. I suspect that if there is a part missing, your bass is nowhere near playable in the way it should be.

5. Oh its playable i have been using it with this peace gone for awhile. Its the G string, its lower to the fret board then all the others, does sound funny sometimes but you can still use it and it sounds ok

not sure what the part is called .. buts is a small silver bar .. if im making any sense to you.

thanks!

6. My god man! That's the "saddle" of the bridge. That is entirely the most important part of any on the bridge.

I hope you do replace it, then get some books, read this forum and ask more questions because to assume that things were OK with this piece missing is one of the most .... well, I can't really say how bad it is without violating about 4 different forum rules. You should learn a LOT more about your instrument and it's proper care before going any further with your music.

Learn to respect your instrument - no matter how cheap you think it is. Every one starts with inexpensive tools to learn but allowing your tools to deteriorate like that shows a fundamental lack of respect for the art of bass playing. You may think this is harsh to point out but without a proper working instrument, you will not progress and you will be more of a liability to those that might play with you.

7. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    You have to file the grooves? I'm gonna get a BAII, but I had no idea you had to file grooves! Is it hard? What's the best way to do it? Its ready out of the box otherwise, right (it screws into the pre-existing holes?)?

Thanks!

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yes, it's ready right out-of-the-box -- if you don't mind not having string grooves.

;)

9. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Ok, so what's the best way to file the grooves? Any old metal file?

10. I don't know if this is the case with all BAII bridges, but during the short time I had a Geddy Lee Jazz, I noticed that the grooves were very shallow. More like a scratch rather than a groove, actually. But it did the job - the strings never moved. I could have done it at home in a few minutes...

11. BAII's have an angular transition across the saddle where the strings sit - it isn't rounded. That's why a fairly small "v" place where the string should fall is enough to hold most strings in place. Of course the larger the diameter of the string, the larger (or deeper) the "v" needs to be to have the same holding power as the notches for smaller diameters. This probably only has an effect on B strings and lower that are markedly larger than usual.

You can accomplish this with little or no problem using a small triangular file and a bit of care.

12. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Awesome, one more thing....
    I just talked to the guy that sets up basses at the local music store, and he said that he's had problems putting the BAII in. Sometimes the screw holes don't match up exactly, and because the BAII is higher than a stock Jazz bridge, you need to counter sink in order for the BAII to sit low enough. Has anyone had problems of this nature?

I couldn't find any under searches...

13. You know, it really P***** me off that this keeps coming up about BadAss bridges. It also torques me that there are idiots out there without a clue about these subjects but gladly hand out bad advice as if they were the top guru to bassdom.

Let's start from the beginning - In the mid 70's the original BA came out for the Gibsons. Lots of people said that you couldn't use it without inletting the bridge into the body. I bought one and had it installed professionally on my 1976 Precision by Greg Tringas of Tringas String Instruments in Pensacola FL. He didn't have to inlet anything and the action height was perfect. So much for that idea. Then in the early 80's (I think) the BAII's came out. These had a much shorter profile and had the required screw holes matched to the Fender standard for a simple drop-in replacement. That's all there is to it - they were designed as a direct replacement for the stock Fender bridge. Hell, even Fender used 'em on the Geddy Lee Signature Bass!! Now, there could be some slight variation in dimension from bass to bass. With the influx of more foreign made units, I can even see this as a bit more of a possible occurence, BUT the BAII is designed to work as a direct replacemnt and that's all that needs to be said about it.

Bottom line - if your technician finds this such an overwhelming problem then you should find another technician or do it yourself.