Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridged Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by digidealaybb404, Dec 20, 2005.

1. i am looking at buying a pre amp and power amp. the power amp i am looking at say "900 watts bridged 4 ohms"

what does that mean

2. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    The amplifier is a two channel amplifier which can independently drive two loads (cabinets), (and probably delivers 450 watts/channel into two ohm loads in that mode). However, if you bridge the amplifier to create essentially a single channel amplifier driving a single load, it's minimum load will be 4 ohms and will deliver 900 watts into this load.

3. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    +1 to jsbarber, you're connecting both the A and B channels together into a 4 ohm load. Make sure you follow the instructions, power amps are different from one another, some have switches for sterio or bridge mono, make sure you're in the bridge mono position.

4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I'll also add, make sure if your using a Speakon connector, make sure its wired for the correct Bridged configuration or you'll only be using half power.