Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridged mono 2 ohm Apmeg SVT4?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DRN, Mar 10, 2004.

1. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Can you bridge the Ampeg SVT4 Pro down to 2 ohms?

I have two 4 ohm Eden 410 XLT and I wanted to daisy chain them creating a 2 ohm load. Can this be done?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Check the manual and the website. They're the authorities; you'd be best advised to get it from the horse's mouth.

I will say, though, that I've never heard of a stereo bass amp that could be bridged down to 2 ohms. That's equivalent to running a load of 1 ohm per side, and I know of no bass amps that can do that, either.

Advice in brief: don't do it.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No specs on a 2ohm bridged load from Ampeg. I almost got one of these recently, so I checked all of that kind of info out.

I agree with Richard......"Advice in brief: don't do it."

-Mike

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    No, it won't handle a 2 ohm load mono bridged. Don't do it.

I run two 4 ohm cabs, but I just use the stereo outputs on it.

5. Even if either (or both) channels can handle 2 ohms individually, I would doubt the bridged channel would like 2 ohms.

What did the jug with "xxx" written on it say in all the old Warner Brothers cartoons?

Oh, yeah.

"You'll be sooorrrrryy"

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    When bridging amps, you basically "loose" the lowest impedence. If the amps can go to 2 ohm, then bridged they can only handle 4 ohm.

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The 4Pro can be bridged at 4 ohms. BUT NOT AT 2 ohms.

The way "bridging" works, each amplifier channel drives half the load. So two channels each driving their 2 ohm minimum load gives you the 4 ohm minimum load for bridging.

But, if one 4 ohm cabinet is rated at least 600W, you should be OK with using it alone bridged, as you generally can go to double the speaker rating (unless you do industrial thrash).

Your mileage may vary on that one, I can't answer for the Eden speakers.

8. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for all the replies. I was pretty sure you could not do it but I figured I would ask. Sometimes you can be suprised on this board.

Well I ordered the SVT-4pro last night and it will be here in about a week. Can not wait to see what this thing can do. I am a little scared on the power ratings. So many posts on this board mention the Ampeg's ratings seem to be a bit generous and that the SVT seems a little power light but I will run it through the paces verses an SWR SM900 (what I currently have) and let you all know.

Thanks again

Dave

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Since you brought it up, it is worth mentioning that at Ampeg, we do NOT inflate amplifier power ratings.

Anyone who says that Ampeg products are "a little light" on their power ratings hasn't checked them out.

The SVT-4Pro is rated at 1200 watts "RMS" and produces that. We do sometimes give some alternate ratings also. Those are not "RMS" ratings, but they have also been used by other reputable companies.

We are probably too careful about being honest. Others have happily given "optimistic" power ratings, and we have looked bad in comparison for telling the truth. No good deed goes un-punished.......

There are a lot of things that affect the "perceived" power, and that is a different matter. Sometimes, for some playing styles, a cheap, lightweight, power supply can sound louder, if it has a high voltage with no load, and drops a lot under load. That type may reproduce peaks, like string pops, at well over its "rating", even if it can't actually reach its rated power for more continuous notes.

Overall, there isn't a better, more reproducible rating system than "RMS-based power". Ampeg products produce the "RMS-based" power they claim.

10. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the info. I in no way meant to say that Ampeg intentionally nameplated the ratings higher than actual I was just summarizing the overall thoughts of the searches I read that everyone seemed to think the preceived loudness did not seem like the nameplate. I know eq etc has alot ot do with preceived loudness. I will let you all know once I receive it.
    I think part of the issue is the written blurb on the amp that says the highest powered amp in the industry 1600 watts. This is (i assume) a peak rating and not RMS (clever markiting guys)

Can't wait to get it. My only gripe is I would love this to be a 2-space amp instaed of 3-spaces. I know you can only cram so much s%&t in in 2-spaces so I will just have to get a new rack.

11. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

yeah don't worry about having enough power with the svt-4. I use it with the pro-410hlf (1400watts @4ohms) cabinet and its super power for sure.

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

There was a discussion about this here a year ago or more. I actually took mine in and had it's power output tested. And Ampeg is telling the truth. It was putting out what it was supposed to. :cool:

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    No, Actually it isn't either one......You can blame me, I did it.

It is a "40Hz single cycle" rating.

Similar to a rating Crown used to use, that gave an indication of what kind of power pulses the amp would give to a subwoofer with mic'd kickdrum, etc.

Basically, if you hit a note, that rating is the RMS equivalent of the max you can get on the attack before distortion. Peak would be double even that number.

The 40Hz single cycle means you are measuring power supplied for at least one full cycle at that low frequency, not just an instantaneous peak.

Hey, they wanted a big number that was still truthful and I obliged. There is even a test procedure for it.

It actually gives a useful rating, but it isn't a continuous power, and as far as I know we always also give the "RMS" power and label it as such.

14. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    This is why more manufacturers reps should post on the board. We get the straight truth from the horses mouth. Thanks for clearing everything up.
    I can not wait to get it.

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, hopefully you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. ;)

16. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Ryan,

Not to change the subject but I saw on you profile you have gas for a Warwick SS2 I assume that is the Streamer 2.
    Don't gas run to your nearest dealer and buy one site unseen. It is an amazing bass much better neck, balance, tone etc etc then any other Warwick I have ever tried. I own a thumb neck through 5 and the streamer 2 neck through 5 I do not know why more dealers do not have stock. Awsome bass.