Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Bridged Mono Series" or "Separate Stereo Parallel"???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 13, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

would it be better to have all that juicy headroom with a bridged mono series feed to two cabs or simply go stereo into two cabs??? would i wear out the first cab in series mode? some have told me more headroom makes things way more responsive and punchier but what do y'all think?

oh yea, and jonesy, din = loud band mix & crowd noise.

2. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    When I use 2 cabs I prefer to run them parallel off my mono amp with no crossover, etc. I like the sound. Others may provide differing opinions.

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I tried going bi amped stereo with my SWR SM400s into a 410/210 setup and was unimpressed. Definitely the bridged mono mode running the full 500watts into both cabs is the louder and much fuller sounding option.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Wear out the first cab? If you're worried that the first cab in line sees more action than the subsequent ones, you can go back to sleep. The cabs don't know where they are in line. Each one is presented with the same voltage and, depending on its impedance (ohms), passes a certain amount of current. A lower impedance cab will draw more current than one with higher impedance.

5. I use both channels of a stereo amp rather than bridge them - the 1x15" on one channel isn't quite as loud as the 2x10" on the other, so I run the 2x10" channel at about 95% volume and the 1x15" channel full up to get the tone I'm looking for. That wouldn't be possible in bridge mode.

I don't understand how folks can think they have more overhead in bridged mode unless the speaker load is such that the amp puts out more power bridged than it does in stereo. I mean, a thousand watts is a thousand watts - mono or stereo.

6. so if you have a an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm, the 4 ohm cab is getting more "juice" from the amp?

7. Rodan asked...

so if you have a an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm, the 4 ohm cab is getting more "juice" from the amp?

Yup.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    alan are you runnin' the Peavey DPC1400x that we posted about a little while ago? I'm not sure, but i think you said you were getting one. if so, how do you like it? just curious...

and thx for the comments everyone. i guess its whatever your needs are, then do it.

9. jokerjkny asked...

alan are you runnin' the Peavey DPC1400x that we posted about a little while ago? I'm not sure, but i think you said you were getting one. if so, how do you like it? just curious...

Close - I'm running a DPC1000.

I think the amp is great - it's stupid loud and only weighs 12 pounds. So far I've been real happy with it.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, not just loud, but "stoopid" loud... :D