Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridged or stereo, in laymens terms??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If I was to run 2 8ohm 4x10 cabs from a mckie 1400i poweramp (1000 watts bridged, 300 + 300 stereo) what would be the best way to do this as far as sound and power? I think currently I'm running them in stereo (1 cab per channel) if thats right?:confused:

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Bridge it and daisy chain the cabs. That gives you roughly 1400w into for ohms. You will have plenty of power in reserve.

Mike

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But how do you go about bridgeing them, is that to say plug one cab into channel 1 and then run a cord or "bridge" a cord from one cabinet into another and whats a daisy chain anyway
    ?

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    No, the "bridge" is inside your poweramp; between channels 1 and 2. When you bridge a two channel poweramp, it combines both of the channels into one channel that has double the power. There should be a some kind of switch or jack on the back of your poweramp for bridged mode. If not, then there's ways of wiring bananna plugs to make an amp bridged.

I believe the Mackie M1400i has a bridged output on it. I would personally rather have the M1400 because it has Speakon outputs instead of 1/4" phone plugs.

The way that you run an amp when you use both channels, and one cab per channel (like you described above) is known as dual mono, NOT stereo. Stereo is completely different, and involves complicated hookups and a special stereo processor to make your bass signal stereo. You don't need this! Bass is supposed to be mono!

I am not sure how to hook up cabs in a daisy chain though. Im not sure if this is a good thing to do either. Doesn't that mean that the cabinets are wired in series? If so, then I have heard bad things about that.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Ok... I just did some research for you, Fixer. To bridge your Mackie M1400i, you need to hook a speaker cable terminated with bananna plugs up to the red binding posts. I believe channel one is positive and channel two is negative. Then you set the little selector switch all the way to the right for mono bridge. Channel 1's gain control becomes the only active gain control for the amp.

Also, if you were running your amp in stereo, thats bad. The stereo mode is only for a 2 channel input to a 2 channel output. In other words, you need a two channel stereo signal to begin with (such as a radio reciever.) For a bass, you should either be using the dual mono (one channel in--your bass, two channels out) or mono bridged mode.

There's a 1.3 MB .pdf file for this here:
    http://www.mackie.com/PDFs/FRSeries/M1400_OM/M1400i_OM_All.pdf
    you need acrobat reader for it.

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Daisy chain in a term used for running both cabs from the same channel in parallel. This takes the impedence down to 4 ohms. Chord placement is: Ouput from the amp into speaker #1, out of speaker #1 and into speaker #2. Perfectly safe.

Mike

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You should call Mackie tech support, they are extremely knowledgable and helpful. Knowing exactly what you have for cabs would be a prerequisite for helping you here.

8. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanx for the pm help Blisshead, also I'm playing through 2 mesa boogie 4x10 road ready cabs.:D

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have a 1400i, and use the set up i described above for pracrice (2 Eden 410). You can bridge the amp and run both cabs from one channel with ease. I promise!!!!

Mike

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Kmowing that you have the two Mesa's, -Mike's setup is safe. We just needed to know what cabs you had so we didn't tell you to try something and end up costing you hundreds of dollars!

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Right on, dude. Bridge your Mackie M1400i and daisy chain the cabs. That would be a monster setup!!!