Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridged or stereo???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lessthancool, Jul 27, 2002.

1. what are the benefits of each?

i guess that i dont really understand how it works...could someone please help me out....

i'll give you an example...

the ampeg 6x10 is a 4 ohm cabinet, and it's the only cabinet i'm gonna be connecting....when i get a power amp, am i supposed to run it in bridged mode, straight into the cab? or should i use it stereo, plugging both inputs into the cab?

also, when going from my pre amp into my power amp, do i use the outputs depending on if i'm running bridged or stereo?

i hope this is understandable....

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah there, padner!

first things first. from your preamp to power amp, make sure you're using a short instrument cable. next, between your power amp and cabs, make sure you're using ONLY "speaker" cables. this is a must.

bridged mode is best cause it lets you use all of the available power of your power amp for your rig giving you lots of headroom for punch and articulation. also, make sure you're running only ONE cable from your preamp to your power amp, and only ONE cable from your power amp to your speaker cab.

your speaker cab has two inputs so you can daisy change your cabs. you'll run a line from the power amp to the cab, and then run another line from that cab to another cab. in this case, only ONE cable from the power amp to the cab.

going in stereo's only good if you're gonna run something biamped, which case, you'd be running one cable from one channel to one cab, and another cable from the second channel to another cab.

next time you're at the store, try asking a clerk to help you better understand your gear, and good luck!

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Make sure your power amp can handle bridged @ 4 ohms.

4. thanks for the help...it's not gear that i posess yet though....i'm just figuring out how i'm gonna do things before i spend money

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The Ampeg 610 handles 600watts to 1200 peak.
    You could run it bridged mono from a power amp with that capability.

For mono, ether use one Speakon connector to the output that handles the bridged load (according to the manual) to the speaker.
    - or-
    run one banana clip cable from the power amp to the speaker according to your manual (usually these are the two center binding posts of the four - the red ones on the graphic of this QSC RMX back panel:
    [​IMG]
    You'll probably also have to find the swtich that changes the handling from stereo to mono too.

The stereo set up is nice for multiple cabs, especially when you need to balance the power output. The benefit you can get running stereo is say with a 4ohm 210 on ch 1, and two 8ohm 115s on ch 2, you can cut back on ch 2 so you don't drown out those nice mids from the 210 because, at the same power levels, you'd be getting more volume from the 2x115s.

Power amps leave you great flexibility.

Your signal from the pre should be set up the same, regardless of whether you're running stereo or mono.