Bridged SM500/Goliath Jr. III 8 Ohm: Safe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JOME77, Aug 10, 2004.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I recently sold most of my cabinets and now only have a Goliath Jr. III 8 Ohm cabinet. I previously used a SM400S with a Goliath Jr. III cabinet but typically ran the SM400S stereo with a 4 ohm Jr. III (250 watts RMS @ 4 ohms).
    Using the 8 ohm Jr. III with my SM500 stereo (one side 150 Watts RMS @ 8 ohms) doesn't have much punch or headroom.
    Since the cabinet is rated at 350 Watts RMS I would think it would be safe to run the SM500 bridged (400 watts @ 8 ohms) as long as I don't really crank up the amp.
    If I keep the master down on the amp does that really limit the potential wattage output of the amp or can the amp still produce wattage at dangerous levels in order to satisfy instantaneous peaks?
    Opinions please!
  2. motorhall

Jul 1, 2004
    Actually it's probably safer to use it in bridged mode since it leaves you more headroom. What many people don't realize is that even though a speaker may have a higher RMS rating than the amp driving it, if you push the amp really hard to the point of clipping, it starts delivering DC voltage to your speakers and that's when they get cooked.

I don't know what your space or financial limitations are, but the best way to get more efficient use out of that amp (i.e., volume), is to add another 8 ohm box so that you can run 4 ohms bridged.
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks guys! It seemed safe to me but I thought before I used it too many times in the bridged mode I better get a few more opinions.
    I agree getting another 8 ohm cabinet would be the better solution. I actually recently sold a 4 ohm Goliath Jr. III and a 8 ohm Goliath III to help finance a new Elrick 5. I guess I'll have to make do for a while. I really don't miss carrying that Goliath III!