bridged with QSC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Jan 28, 2006.

1. i purchased a QSC RMX 850 awhile ago, and im changin from running both sides, to bridged.

i have heard that you need to change the speakon cable to do that.

my cab only has a 1/4 inch input, so i have a speakon male cable that has a female 1/4 on theother side, and from that i plug a normal speaker cable into the cab.

i read the posts about this before, but im not sure how that cable set up affects anything. so how would i change the wiring to allow bridged mode?

any help would be amazing,

and pictures would help alot aswell if thats possible.

thanks, andy
  2. bump

just had band practice today, and it was very very soft, and the power amp was maxing like crazy.

im really confused because the cab i am usin dosnt have a speakon jack, so i have a speakon to female 1/4 adapter, and a speaker cable goin from that to the cab, and i dont know what cables i need to change
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  4. etnops

Nov 6, 2005

use a 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable. hack one of the ends off, so you've got one end with bare wire (2), and the other with the 1/4".

connect the bare wire to both + terminals on the back of the amp (bridge mode is always + and +).
    connect the 1/4" to your cab.

be sure to flip the dip switches on the back of the amplifier to show bridged mode and parallel inputs.

VERY IMPORTANT - when in bridge mode, turn channel 2 gain all the way DOWN. the master gain will be channel 1.

hope that helps.

5. so i take the 2 wires inside choped off end of the cable. and plug those into the binding posts?

im startin to get this, thanks
  6. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    No need for anything that radical. As per the QSC manual, simply move the wire on from the 1- terminal in the speakon to the 2+ terminal (which should give you one wire on 1+ and the other on 2+) and you are done. No cutting, stripping, soldering, or parts to buy and you still get to use the speakon . . . . and can put it back to normal anytime you like, once again in seconds, and for free . . .

- Tim
  7. bump,

just had prac again today and i the cable im using wouldnt let me change the wiring so i stripped it and put each wire in the "bridged" binding posts. its was louder than last time, and wasnt clipping. even though i wasnt using channel two, it still showed that signal was coming through, and it was clipping, even though the knob was all the way down.

could sumone help me out, thanks
  8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  9. yes i have read it quite a bit, and i understand it, but it didnt say anything about both the channel lights being on, and i dont know if i should be worrying about that happening or not. just wanna make sure im doing what im supposed to do right.
  10. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    You should be plugged into input 1. You should have your wires connected to the middle two binding posts. You should have dipswitches 4,5,6,7,8 set to the right, and 10 set to the left (as per the manual). You should have channel 2's volume turned all the way down.

If you have all of this setup correctly, and it's still bothering you, go onto QSC's support forums. I love them to death. Some of the greatest customer support guys in existence, IMHO. They will help you.
  11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    In bridge mode, led's for both channels will light up, as will the bridge mode indicator lights. Only volume for channel one will have any impact.
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Keep in mind that the idea behind bridged mono operation is that both amp channels are working together, therefore both channels' signal LEDs should light.
  13. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA

can i drive a RMX 2450 into a single avatar 410? (1000W handling) just wondering..

how does this works out then?