Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridged?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mpringle77, Aug 19, 2001.

1. dont laugh, whats the different between bridged power rating and non-biridged (other than power). incase that makes no sense, how come bridged power ratings are higher and what are they?
    thanks
    marty =)

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    many power amps today are actually two separate amps in one box. By having two amps you can run them in stereo or bi-amped (splitting the low and high frequencies) and run the signals into two different speaker cabs. Bridging basically combines the two amps into one. When you see power ratings for amps, it might say "300 watts @ 4 ohms per side, 600 watts @ 8 ohms bridged". This means the amp can push 300 watts into a 4 ohm load per side, or per amp, or push 600 watts into an 8 ohm load bridged.

3. thanks phat, but what i relly want to know is how much power i will get through one 4ohm cab? saying that, i understand and appreciate ure last post.
    eyb
    =)

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No one can possibly know that without knowing what amp you're talking about and what its rated specs are. And once you have the specs, you can read them as well as any of us can.

Be aware that not all stereo amps are rated to be bridgeable into 4 ohms. Some are, some aren't. Whatever you are considering, be sure this is doable. If it says the minimum load bridged is 8 ohms, then don't hook it up that way to a 4 ohm cab. Even if it doesn't say "minimum," you can probably assume that the lowest load mentioned is the minimum.

Example: if the specs say something like "Bridged: 450 W @ 8 ohms" and nothing else, it's a good bet that it's not rated for bridging into 4 ohms.