1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridges & Tuners...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I am in the process of upgrading my Schecter.. I wanted to change the hardware from the stock gold to black.. I already ordered some pups but the pre will have to wait till after X mas.. I was wondering.. how much of a difference does the brand of bridge and/or tuner really make.. ? I was looking at the best fit between price, looks and functionality as in not having to make any new holes in my bass.. There are so many brands of tuners out there.. Gotoh, Schaller, ESP, Hipshot.. and the same with the bridges.. does it really matter? I imagine that cheap tuners will probably slip or something.. but what about bridges.. I imagine the construction will have a lot to do wit the tone you get.. so if that is the case is there one brand that is better than another.. I imagine brass might be better than say aluminum...?

I have pretty much settled on EMG for the pups... and the pre actually.. but I am still researching the hardware.. Any tips or insights would be appreciated ..

By the way.. This is my bass is that a "C" bridge? I can't see much difference between the "C" style and the "A" style..

2. Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    77 looks and not one response.. sheesh.. is it my breath.......

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I don't know much about modifications but I can tell you this: Out of all the things you mentioned the only important thing is that you want to avoid neckdive - so you'll probably not want to go with heavy tuners or a light bridge, unless your bass balances fine either way.

Other than that you have 10000 bassists here who all have different opinions and beliefs. If you think your bass needs an upgrade, go for it and tell us what you think of the result?

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    If you want the easiest transition, get hardware that matches your current screws patterns, hole diameters, etc.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Since the schecters allready have hi-mass bridge your not gonna notice any big diff with other himass bridges. Tuners wont affect sound. Lighter ones mean less chance of neck dive. Depending on replacement tuners you may need to drill new starter hole for the little set screws on back of new tuners if theyre not in same place as the stock ones. For bridge, if some of the screw holes dont line up you'll need to make new starter holes nfor new bridges screws. And fill any unused holes from prev bridge screws.

6. Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Thanks for the replies.. I was thinking the same things.. as far as the holes etc.. The hi mass bridge info is good to know.. I didn't know that.. The tuners I was looking at had the holes in the right spots.. as far as the bridge & tuners go it was more an aesthetic thing.. I just want to make sure I dont mess things up.. neck dive.. I never thought of that.. good point, Ill have to keep that in mind..