Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridges, Tuning Keys, and Website....oh my!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angus, Aug 24, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok, so im right at the point where i need to choose the bridge and tuners for my Salas so he can start building. The choices are:

ABM
    Hipshot
    Gotoh.

Anyone got a preference? Anyone got Gotoh and ABM's website? Ive got Hipshots. Anyone help? I need help quickly! Im thinking either ABM or Hipshot, because i dont like the Gotoh's on my Ibanez, but ive never seen their bridge. Anyone help? Thanks!

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Whoopsy...just putting on email notification.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

The Gotoh bridge what they are selling is basically same
    as in soundgears. Schaller seems quite nice tho.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Schaller isnt an option.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If it were me, I'd go with the ABM. It's made of solid brass, has quick release channels, and is adjustable for string spacing (I think). It's also the prettiest of the bunch, IMO.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I've always liked Gotoh tuners. They have proven to be very dependable.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yep, i went with ABM. Should be fine...im not to picky....kinda. Thanks!

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Howdy Mega!
    My Harmony Rocket has Gotoh tuners and I love them they have nice action with no slop.
    I also have a 77Jazz bass that I installed a direct replacement gotoh bridge from Allparts and its much nicer adjustment wise and its a real meaty bridge.
    I hope this is a help and I think you can get a look at there stuff through
    http://www.allparts.com

[Edited by Funkster on 08-24-2000 at 12:59 PM]

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks funk. Allparts is what i used to decide on the ABM! Thanks though!

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    ABM RULES! They are on the Peavey Cirrus (unless those are knockoffs). They are badass bridges... but not Badass Bridges by Leo Quan. Those aren't that great.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LOL, love the signature! Louis Black is the man!
    Yeah, the ABM should be good.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey angus, all my conklins got abm's - they are the cat's jammies, in my opinion. why don't you get the ones with the shadow piezos installed already? then for a coupla hundred bucks more you can get the rmc system too. this way you have :

piezo/magnetic blend

and

13-pin synth output.

this should only be about $300 more.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LOL...John, am i becoming your understudy/disciple? Training a replacement?

Hehe, 1, no moola, 2, im sure where i could use that in our music. Itd be nifty to have all those buttons...but id die remembering them.

Remember, i AM at least getting the 6! I think.

I think itd be fun to have a bass with all that nifty synth/midi/piezo/optical pickup stuff...but im not sure where i could use it and have the guys like the stuff in our music! Its tricky.

14. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    So you build a bass with the RMC/Shadow, etc. What other stuff do you need? A synth system, midi stuff, blah, blah, blah. Though I DO dream of having a bass some day that is loaded to the gills, how much does something that loaded REALLY cost?

And it's Lewis Black, but who's counting?
    What's a hoddel of coffee?

[Edited by rojo412 on 08-24-2000 at 05:52 PM]

15. Yall got to talkin about Allparts and I went over there for the first time. Pretty neat site. But what got me is that I have been trying to identify the bridge on my fretless Jazz ever since I got it. Well, there it was and it's an ABM!!! Damn, that thing goes for over $100!!! I got this bass from a pawn shop CHEAP and I knew it had been customized (5 layer pickguard and the bridge) but I never thought...

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Louis, Lewis, SAME DAMN THING...ROHO!

You like the ABM Hamhock? Im curious! I want to know ill like it!

17. Yesh! I don't have the most expensive one but I'll tell you from having BadAsses, Schallers, Fenders, and Fender MicroTunes, and some other major deal bridges that this is a VERY high quality piece of machinery. I was initially impressed with the quality of the machine work and it's low profile, then as I investigated further, found out that the saddles lock in place after intonation. Very, Very nice. As a matter of fact, it is beyond what I would have picked for myself unless money was no object.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Excellent...I WANT MY BASS!

Sounds like i made a good choice with ABM!

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, well if you are concerned about cost, then you shouldn't be in the custom department - bargain basement is downstairs. :p :D

it's worth it to me, the extra money, for the sounds and diversity.

look at it this way - for about $1700, you could buy a groove tools GT7, replace the bridge with an abm/shadow piezo bridge, add an rmc piezo/synth, and pick up an older used gr-1, with dough to spare on a bunch of strings.

that's not too terribly bad, huh?

[Edited by john turner on 08-25-2000 at 01:52 PM]

20. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Time to resurrect an old thread...

Does anyone know ABM's website? I did a search on google and they didn't have it. I probably wasn't looking close enough.

BTW, shouldn't this thread go into Setup or Misc.? Was there setup or Misc. when this thread was started?