Bridges: What do they do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpeeDFX, May 3, 2002.

1. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    What do bridges do besides hold your strings for you? I've been on these boards for about a month now, just got my first bass yesturday. I have no intentions of changing my bridge, I just wanted to know what they do besides hold your strings...and possibly look good.
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Would else do they need to do, make coffee? If there were no bridges, how would your strings stay on your bass?
  3. They also allow you to adjust for intonation (small adjustments to the length of the string so that fretted notes are more in tune), and some people like bigger, heavier bridges to get more sustain. Mine makes fun of me when I play, too.
  4. They also adjust the action and the intonation, thats 2 vocabulary words for you, there will be a test tomorrow;)
  5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Do we get to use notes?:D
  6. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Oh ok thanks guys. I was just wondering because I here people saying stuff like "and it comes with bla bla bridges" and "I'm getting new bridges.." and "My bridge told me..."...

:- |
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, when you have a tooth extracted, sometimes the dentist will put a device called a "bridge" in your mouth. This device keeps the teeth near the "hole" from "collapsing" into the space that the missing tooth takes up. You could end up with crooked teeth without a bridge.

Basically, the bridge holds the strings, yes. But it also is the piece of hardware by which the vibration of the string is transferred into the body wood which will vibrate sympathetically. The nature of this vibration transfer has an effect on the sound of the bass is different for different bridge styles.
  8. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Strings? Really? I always thought that when you had to cross over like, say a river..... and I've drank coffee while on said bridge! ;)