1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridges with Tight Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pennydreadful, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    What drop-in Fender replacement bridges have/can be adjusted to have pretty tight string spacing? I mean a quite a bit tighter than a standard Fender.

I think Fenders are somewhere around 18-20mm (4-string),right? So something a fair amount less than that.

Thanks, Tbers.

2. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    Schaller model BB-3530-010 has adjustable spacing down to about 15.5mm. It also has five mounting screws, though I've never used one so I don't know if they are a straight drop-in on a fender.

Beware though - the more you deviate from the standard spacing, the more you run the risk of getting uneven volume because the strings no longer line up with the pole pieces on the PUPs.

If you really like narrow spacing, you may be better off considering a 5-string with 16.5mm spacing. There's quite a few around.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Have you gotten over your fascination with old-school pawn shop prizes? Or are you trying to make a more modern bass act like one of the old-school ones? P'ups with rails will fix that uneven volume problem.

By the way, your Geddy is sitting two feet to my right and has been nearly the only bass I've played since I got it. I got the last of the parts in this week and will starting the assembly of the Anti-Geddy and new Bass of Doom this week.

4. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Hey, Wayne. That's cool about the Geddy- you gotta find a way to put up some pics when everything's finished.

In answer to your first questions- No, and Maybe. My favorite stuff is still weird, old, crappy 'student' models. I've also been gassing for a straight-up P, though (with chrome covers, of course, to satisfy my retro requirements), but I can barely stand standard Fender spacing- especially if I'm using a pick.

5. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I tried to find this on the net, and all the places I tried either didn't list specific model numbers, rather just saying things like 'Schaller bridge' or 'A style', etc. or they didn't have em at all.

So, could somebody either elaborate on what model that bridge is, or link me to a place that as em?

6. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    I saw it on the UK allparts site - go to:

http://www.allparts.uk.com/catalogue/

and look under page 4 of 4-string bass bridges.

Try not to faint when you see UK prices :)

7. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Ah, I found it on the US Allparts site- there's no funny 'F' symbols there.;)