Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridges with TIGHT string spacing, part 2

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I posted this in the Basses forum, as there seemed to be a lot of experience floating around in there...I figured I'd try here as well, seeing as how it is part of a building project.

Looking for suggestions on a 5-string bridge that has the capability to get spacing really tight...REALLY tight. I'm talking about down to 1/2 inch.

My Warwick can get pretty tight, and I used to not like that too much. In the long run, I think it's made me a better bassist overall, as it's forced me to become more precise. At any rate, thanks! In the meantime, I'll continue my searches...

I did find the Hipshot 4 to 5 conversion that I would assume would have a bridge with the capability to get more narrow, but am still waiting for them to email me.

2. marsk

marsk

Aug 17, 2002
    One bridge that might work for you is the Kahler...it's no longer made (although the Kahler company might re-start production, or so I've read), but you can find them used. They can adjust center to center string spacing as narrow as 13.5 mm.

3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Thanks!

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    If you mean the Kahler trem, then yeah, they're back. www.kahlerusa.com, a couple hundred bucks, and all of your bass tremolo dreams will come true.

5. marsk

marsk

Aug 17, 2002
    The bridge I meant to refer to is the Kahler with seperate movable saddles that mount on a plate. They were (are) commonly used on Warmoth Gecko basses, and were stock on the Peavey TL-Six.

6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  8. marsk

marsk

Aug 17, 2002
    Also, if you decide to go with the Kahler, please note that this bridge usually requires body routing for installation: the mounting plate is recessed into the wood. It would probably be very helpful to look at a bass which has it installed.