Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by neptoon, Aug 27, 2001.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :confused:

hmmm...hey guys...i was thinking about having a 6 string bass built for me (still looking for a builder...any suggestions? :D), and the biggest concern for me has been what bridge to use. trying to find info about hardware has become a pain in my arse...i've emailed several manufacturers, but i have gotten no replies thus far. i've looked into gotoh, ABM, schaller and a couple others, but it's starting to get annoying. do any of you guys know of any bridge manufacturers that build bridges that are adjustable to 19-20mm? i've looked into maybe using individual saddles for each string, but am i sacrificing valuable mass by using that system? thanx, fellas...and gals :D

2. Bassmouse

Bassmouse

May 14, 2000
    :p Allways nice to meet a (soon to be) fellow 6stringer! I must admit that I think your ideal string spacing sounds a little out there to me, as I like my string spacing as tight as possible. Oh well... As regarding to your question about bridges, I'd like to share some of my experiences as a builder with you. Yes, you will no doubt lose some mass in your bridge, but in my opinion thats only a good thing. In my experience, mass has very little to do with tone( boy, will I get flamed by some other builders!), in contrast to the alloy it is made of and the woods it has been mounted on. The other plus side of using single saddle bridges is that you will have fewer sting to string interferences. As regarding to single saddle bridge manufacturers, i don't really know anyone besides Fishman, who makes the very nice monorail piezo bridge found on the Ibanez EDA. Hope this helps!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My alltime fave, and used by a lot of German highend bass companies like Marleaux:

ETS (Elastic Trem Systems) Tuning Fork bridge

[​IMG]

I don't know if they have a website, but maybe Marleaux can tell you how to get it.

marleaux@marleaux-bass.de