Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Joe Taylor, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Has anyone uses a bridge made of real hard wood like Lignum Vita (sp?). (this wood is so dense it does not float) It seems to me that the harder the wood the better sound transmisson of vibration to the top plate and bass board and sound post would be.
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I've never seen an ebony bridge, although ebony has been around for a while and is a rather tough hard wood. I beleive that maple has better quality as tone wood.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I imagine that a wood of that hardness would be very difficult for a luthier to shape.
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Shank has a bridge hanging on his wall that he took of a bass that came through his shop. I believe it was on a Kay. Someone had gotten tired of replacing bridges on his bass, and so had one cast, from aluminum I believe. The real funny bit is that the poor guy copied a warped bridge! Mike said it chewed up the front of the bass pretty bad.
  5. Density and hardness are two different properties. Think lead - dense, but not exactly a material for a bridge.
    I would think that lignum vitae would be way too dense, a bridge has to respond quickly, and heavy is not a good thing in bridges.
    End grain maple has the right combination of density, hardness, etc. to make it the ideal material for a bridge, hence it is traditionally used. Even so, there are a lot of variations within that general species.
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm probably repeating something that's already been discussed here, but Moses (the company, not the Lee Sklar lookalike) makes a graphite bass bridge that might be worth checking out.
  7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I have one on my Juzek - I became a Moses dealer and wanted to check one out myself. At this moment it has a non-moses pair of wooden feet, just because I wanted to check it out without whittling down the stock feet (which are very short, depending on the size of the bass' need). It adds clarity to the voice, and I think it could especially be good for a dark-sounding bass. haven't tried it on any other bass yet, though. The price really isn't that much higher than a good quality maple bridge.

see photos of my bridge at
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    The picture of the bridge on the Moses website looks cool, but I guess I'd have to abandon my Underwood pickup (no cutouts). Bob, (or anybody), have you tried their DB fingerboards? Maybe when I build my bass:rolleyes:, I'll use their stuff.
  9. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've gotten a couple boards in to sell, and they are very cool - haven't played one on an acoustic double bass, but they are also on Moses EUBs, which I have played, and will seek out again today at NAMM - there's a good chance I'll start selling the Moses EUBs.

You're right about the lack of slot in the bridge - I put it in my Juzek and plan to try it with the K&K Golden Trinity mic with Double Big Twin.