1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridging 2 Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paul A, Nov 8, 2002.

  1. Paul A

    Paul A

    Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I've "Aquired" a 300 watt stereo power amp.
    Looking inside it there are 2 completely seperate amps with their own power supplies,input and output sockets.
    So..... can I somehow "Bridge" the two amps to get 250 - 300 watts Mono?
  2. Chasarms

    Chasarms Casual Observer

    May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Not all amplifiers are bridgable.

    Most contemporary ones that are bridgable have a seperate bridged output. Some have a switch that you must switch to bridge mode.

    If you are using two cabs, an easy way would be to split the preamp signal, run to both sides of the power amp and drive each cab with a seperate side. No matter what you are going to have to split the preamp signal if there is no preamp out on one or both of the channels to jump the preamp signal over to the channel.

    For just one cab, you need to figure out some things.

    Like is the output signal carried on the positive (+) on both amps? If so, you'll need something to invert one of the channels. This is probably the case if the amp is old.

    If the amp is newer, it may already be carrying an inverted signal (one channel having output on the negative (-)). This design what makes it in effect a "bridgable" amp. If this is the case, you simply wire the two outputs in series. But you have to know which side of the amp is inverted to do this.

    What kind is it?

  3. Paul A

    Paul A

    Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    It's a "Citronics" (whoever they are!)
    Both amps are totally seperate using a pair of 2n3055's in each.

Share This Page