Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridging a ca-9 into el whappo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Dec 17, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    ok

so it is ok to bridge a ca9 at 8 ohms into an el whappo?

anyone doing this??

tom?? :smug:

2. Hi Mod
    Not me... I think the CA9 with one channel is plenty for the EW myself. I usually don't even turn up the gain on the CA9 past 1:00. You can experiment with different gain setting with your pre and and all .. you know the signal to noise ratio thing but bridging is over kill IMO. Enjoy

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm in it more for the headroom

1800 watts into a 8000 watt cab

bad idea??

4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Not at all. If you're doing something to destroy a woofer in a bass guitar application, you'll hear it pretty plainly. Having more power on tap isn't a bad thing, and you definitely don't have to put it all to use anyhow.

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    perfect.

i like to have it all available..

use it wisely

6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    YUP! I am doing just that! I really like the combination of the CA9 and the whappo with my HBP-1. At first I was going to try to use just one side, but all that headroom when it's bridged is amazing. I usually just turn the preamp up to 9-10 oclock and adjust the volume with the CA9, but I know alot of folks, including Mark Wright, have suggested maxxing the CA9 and just barely goosing the preamp for volume adjustments. I think that would work better for me if I had a gain, AND master volume on my preamp. The HBP-1 only has input gain. That way I could set the gain for the right amount of signal into the tube, and max the CA9, and use the pre's master volume as the "volume" knob.

I'll be getting a tri210 soon, and I'll be using it as a top cab for the whappo, and also with my tri112. I'll be curious to see which the CA9 "likes" better, bridging into two daisy chained cabs, or running parallel with one side per cab. Who knows? I'll have fun finding out though. :bassist:

good luck Tom! Don't hurt anybody, I recently found out I was making some people in the back of the room sick at my last gig. The CA9 definitely packs a whallop, especially with an el whappo!

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I was looking at your profile...

BNF6>Navigator>CA9>Whappo

Dang yo, that must sound great. Did you sell your tri210 and gordo?

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i sold my tri 210

i just need to sell my gordo now.. but i'm planning ahead for my whappo

and i dont really use my bnf6 too much, infact i have a buyer for it, but i just wana find a bnf5 before i sell it

thanks for all the information people!

eric

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I had a gordo 18 for a while. It was freaking sweet, but I just didn't use it all that much at the time, so Jean Baudin ended up with it.

Pretty awesome sub though, definitely the biggest boom and lowest lows I've heard for a box that size. good luck with the sale.

Have you played a whappo yet, or are you going to have to spring for it before giving it a go?

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Back when I had my El Whappo, I would normally just run it with one side of a CA9, but with discretion, I think that you could use the CA9 in bridged mode.

Tom.

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

i've played one at Gh services