Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridging a power amp question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwan, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I've been given an old 250 watt stereo power amp and want to bridge it to 500 watts mono for use in our rehersal room...

The amp is capable of running bridges, and my question sounds so stupid I don't know whther I should ask it...

When you bridge a power amp, do you have to link the inputs of the two channels together (ie. jumper run the same signal to both channels)?

The reason I ask is that neither channel seems to have a 'master' input for use in bridged mode..

Cheers

Ian

2. Of the power amps I have bridged, I only had to send input to channel 1. I also only had to turn up the channel one knob and leave channel 2 turned all the way down. I am assuming that you are connecting your speaker leads accross both HOT (red) posts as this is also the traditional way a Bridged amp is hooked to speakers. For best results, find the manual. Most amp manufactures have a web sight with information about this type of thing. Hope this helps.