Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridging A Power Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey all,

I am looking to buy a medium sized (and cheap) power amp for our PA (we don't use it much as most places have PA's). Apparantly this amp is bridgable. This amp does 450 watts @ 4 ohms bridged which is what I would like to do with it. It has banana and 1/4's outs and the PA cabs we will be using (8 ohms each) have 1/4" inputs (parallel for daisy chaining).

As you can see in the link below, there is no "bridge" switch on the front of the amp. I've never done bridging with an amp so I'm not sure how it physically works and what cables I'll need to make it work. Here is a link to the amp (on sale for $99!): ---> Click Me!

2. There will be a switch somewhere, maybe on back. Put it in bridge mode and plug in your speaker cable. USUALLY THIS IS A SPECIFIC JACK so read the manual.

3. Quadzilla

Just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to order any strange cable config. I planned on ordered just straight 1/4" to 1/4" speakers cables (not instrument).

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

An amp that uses a 1/4" jack for bridged mono is not particularly common, IME. Using the two banana hot terminals would be a much more common implementation.Why not just email Gem Sound and get the info directly? BTW, their website (www.gemsound.com) was very slow to load, and I noticed that the amp you're interested in is apparently not listed in the current products section.

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Damn. I actually spent a few minutes searching Google and came up with nothing!

Anyways...IME...

More than likely the binding post output/banana plug will be your bridged mono output. No switch needed.

:)

Joe.

p.s. I just read Passinwind's reply...what he said.

6. Quadzilla

Thanks guys. I'll give GEM a call just to confirm before ordering the amp and cables.

7. Quadzilla

Called GEM, got bounced around to 3 different people (last was a sales manager). They didn't have one in front of them to tell me. No help from them. On the phone with musiciansfriend.com now asking them. Does not look like I'll get a good answer from them also. I'd just go ahead and order the banana's to 1/4" just to be safe, but they are wwwaaayyy more money than the 1/4" tp 1/4". Not sure what to do...

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I would buy the 1/4-1/4 cable then either cut off one end and use the binding post or go to radio shack and get a banana plug and install it on the cable.

You can use a single 1/4-1/4 cable to connect the speakers together in paralell and use only one cable with a banana plug on it going to the amp.

Hope this helped.

Joe.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It's also pretty easy to come by 1/4" female-->banana adapters, if you don't care to roll your own. I always have a few on hand for PA duty, since I end up patching into other folks' speakers pretty often.

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    There you go then.

Easy fix!

Joe.