Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridging question: binding post to 1/4"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monkey, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I want to run a Yamaha CP2000 poweramp bridged into 2 Aguilar DS-112s for the massive headroom. The Yamaha only has binding posts for bridging, and my cabs have Speakons and 1/4" inputs. Is it OK to use binding posts on one end or a cable, and 1/4" on the other? I realize it would be better to use the Speakon, but I already have 10-gauge speaker cables with big 1/4" plugs.

Another query: I'm using huge 10-gauge cable, and the binding posts on the amp have a hole to put the stripped cable through. The hole is much smaller than the cable, so I had to cut down the stripped cable quite a bit to get it to fit through the hole. Does this greatly reduce the power going through the cable?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but in almost thirty years of playing, I've never used a separate power amp and preamp; just heads.

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, you can use binding post to 1/4" cables, but I would work on getting some speakons. Since you're bridging, you're getting into pumping a lot of watts, and the contact points on 1/4" plugs are pretty small.

And it doesn't hurt anything to trim those 10 guage cables like you did. Unless you're using VERY long speaker cables, like 30 or 40 feet, those super thick cables aren't doing a thing for you anyway. There's no need for anything more than 12 guage as long as you keep the length reasonable.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you have typical binding posts, you should be able to use banana plugs at the amp end. And, if they are spaced normally, you can buy the plugs in a pre-spaced pair at Radio Shack.

JD

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the insights!