Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridging Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

On my new Ampeg SVT400T, the back has two channels, and above the two regular 1/4" jack channels is a pair of special connectors. The seller included a cable to connect to the special connectors, and use the amp in bridge mode. However, I notice that the cable connects the "red" lead of one channel to the "red" lead of the other channel.

Is this okay?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yeah, it's ok. Are the special connectors bananna plugs?

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for your response!

Is this a banana?

[​IMG]

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The other end (farthest away) looks like one, kinda dark though. The closeest connector looks like a female 1/4". Which end is in question?

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The far one is the connector that goes to the amp.

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Then yeah, thats a bananna. My question is now, do you connect that cable from your amp to a 1/4" to your cab? Seems like a lota extra work, you might look into getting a bananna to 1/4" cable to save a little extra hassle. But if it works for you and your happy, I say go for it. Good luck.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or even better than getting a banana to 1/4", if your cabinet has a banana plug input then just get a banana to banana. Then you'll have the tightest connection this side of Speakon. :)

brad cook

8. That connector looks like you are putting the banana connector across the two positive output terminals, then connecting your speaker wire to the female 1/4 jack. Is that correct ??

If so, that is the correct way to bridge most power amps that don't have a bridging switch.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Okay, cool. Thanks for the info guys. :) I am betting that this is how the B25 cabinet I got with this head, got fried... 400 watts into a 50w cab. :p

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Well, yeah. I agree with Brad on this one. If the cab has Speakon connectors, you could go bananna to Speakon. There are always lots of options.

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Maybe.....:p