Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridging question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Elf2112, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Elf2112

Elf2112

Aug 22, 2003
    I have an Ampeg B4-R 1000W Solid State Head that I was thinking of bridging to my 2 cabs, Ampeg SVT15E (400W Program) and SVT410HE (800 Program), both 8 ohm.
    With that much power, am I chancing blowing the 15 with it only tested to 400W if I bridge the amp through it?

The ampeg tech I spoke with suggested that I bridge it to get the extra power, but the numbers didnt seem to add up to me. (Though I very well could be wrong).

Also, if it is bridged, does it matter which cab is wired to first in the loop?

Thanks in advance.

Elf2112

2. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    You should be OK with that much power. You very rarely hit 1000 watts. Just watch the volume control. You will be sending clean power to your cabs, instead of pushing less watts to clipping (which damages your speakers).

Also, it doesn't matte which cab is first in line. I would run it to the one closest to the head and then to the next one. Use the shortest speaker cables that you can get away with.

3. Your two cabinets together can handle 1200 watts. Putting 1000 into them won't harm anything. Most folks would run into the 4x10 first, then into the 15. Once again, use the shortest, highest grade SPEAKER cables you can afford. Let us know how it sounds!:bassist: