Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridging the gap

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by aolian, Feb 25, 2005.

1. aolian

aolian

Feb 25, 2005
    :help:

I have been learning 4 string bass for around 6 months now and having trouble stretching fingers onto certian frets when playing major scales eg. Db major, Ab major are there any finger exercises you could recomend.

thankyou

2. I'm not Watt, but I might be able to help. I just learned this one, it seems to really work, not by stretching your hands out, but by allowing your fingers to work independently of one another:

Put your pointer finger on the seventh fret of the G string, with your remaining fingers on successive frets up that string (your pinky'll be on the 10th fret). S-l-o-w-l-y, move your pinky to the same fret (that'll be the 10th) on the D string, while keeping the other fingers on the G string. Then, with your pinky still on the D string, and your other fingers still on the G string, do the same with your ring finger, then do the same with your middle finger, then with your index finger.

At this point, all four fingers should be on the D string. Now repeat the process, going back to the G string. S-l-o-w-l-y, and make sure to maintain good form, curved fingers and whatnot. Then go back to the D string. Then go back to the G string. Then, if you are like me, you'll need to take a break.