Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JuanG, Oct 28, 2005.

1. JuanG

Oct 16, 2005
    New York city
    I have an epi 3x10 and I'm thinking of buying a thunderfunk 550 cab ...but I'm not sure how many watts I will be sending to the cab since David told me that the TF cannot be bridged...will I be sending only 250 to the cab (the cab is 5.3 ohms)?? what other choices do I have?
    And does the eden WT800 have the possibilty to be bridged?
    thanks Juan
  2. Bridging is only an issue if you have a 'stereo' head, like the Eden800 (400 watts per side into 4ohms, 800 bridged into 8ohms). The Thunderfunk550 is mono.... only one amp... nobridging.... so at 4 ohms, you get the entire 500 watts.

The Epi310UL/TF combination is very nice and works great. At 5.3 ohms, the TF will put out most of its rated power (just guessing here... probably around 425 watts). That's plenty to push that very efficient Epi310UL. Hope that helps and good luck.
  3. JuanG

Oct 16, 2005
    New York city
    thanks man...great info..but another question...
    I see two speakon outputs and two 1/4 inch outputs on the back of the disregarding what output I use is still 500 watts...??
    tx again
  4. JuanG

Oct 16, 2005
    New York city
    And if I were to buy the WT800 at the end I will get the same power..since is 400 into 4 ohms....and the epi is I couldn't send 800 into 4 ohms? juan
  5. Correct.... the 1/4" jacks versus Speakon is just to give you the choice of what types of connectors to use. There are two of each so that you can plug in two 8ohm cabinets if you want.... for a total of 4ohm load. I would suggest getting a good 12 gauge cable with Speakons at both ends if you don't have one already.

Remember, with the 5.3ohm Epi310, adding another cab, even an 8ohm cab, will result in a load below 4ohms (2.66 ohms)... so don't do that :)
  6. The Eden800 bridged will give you A LOT of power. However, a lot of bridged power amps have a minimum suggested rating of 8ohms. The newest Eden800....called the 800(B) can run safely at 4 ohms bridged, and I believe puts out about 1000 watts at 4ohms bridged. So, that would be about 800 watts or so into the 5.3ohm Epi310. However, the older 800 model would have problems with that lower load.

Personally, the Eden800(b) would seem a little overmatched for the 310... I would think the Thunderfunk would be just perfect for that cab. The Eden550 would also be a good match if you wanted the 'Eden sound'.... it would put out about the same wattage as the Thunderfunk into the 310. It is a mono amp also, just like the TF.
  7. JuanG

Oct 16, 2005
    New York city are the man kjung juan
  8. :) Good luck.
  9. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
  10. David Nordschow from Eden has given the OK for bridging the old WT800 into the D610XLT, so it would appear that 5.3 ohms is acceptable. Check on the Eden forum for more info....