1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridging

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thejamesjordan, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey guys, I did a search for bridge techniques, bridging, etc but couldn't find what I was looking for. Can someone give me a good basic explanation of bridging? My understanding is that bridging (in its simplest terms) is running two cabinets out of one power amp. Is that right?

2. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    The other way around. Most power amps have two power sections. Bridging sends both power sections to one output.

3. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    Haha, I see I have a lot to learn before I screw around. Is this usually an option available through the power amp, or do you actually have to hardwire something? Again, total newb questions, but I've always been curious.

Another question: So if your cabinet and head are capable of 8 ohms or 4 ohms, does bridging pump the 8 ohms instead of 4?

4. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Bridging has nothing to do with the preamp. In a stereo power amp (the majority of QSC power amps for example) there are actually two power amps inside of one box. In stereo they operate separately and have their own individual outputs. When you run them in bridged mode, the two power amps combine and use a common output.

Your second question confuses me. A cabinet won't be capable of 8 or 4 ohms, it will have a given impedance value of either 8 ohms or 4 ohms. The listed impedance of your head/power amp will be the minimum load that it can handle and will be dictated by the cabinet(s) you're hooking it up to.

5. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The way they do it is to invert the signal to one of the power sections and run the speaker(s) on the 2 "+" connectors instead of on a "+" and a "-" connector.