Brief brag about Greg

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by VroomVroom, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Hey Folks,

Just wanted to brag about Greg's customer service. He went out of his way to accommodate me on a small order for some straps and locks, and somehow he even got Brown to deliver the order a day early. :)

I know that, without pics, the order never took place, so...

Happily ripping open the box late this morning:
    3793655646_85d3134b05_o.jpg

And then installing the locks...three sets without once pinching a finger tip!
    3793655668_7d90e9835f_o.jpg

It simply could not have been easier or more pleasant doing business with Rocket Music. We all know that Greg is an awesome fellow, and in a perfect lottery-fantasy world I would've placed an order for a couple of Roscoes & Suhrs instead. Thing is, though....Greg treated me like I had placed an order with more (and higher) digits on the left side of the decimal point than what actually registered.

So, kudos, and thanks, to Greg!

P.S. The Mrs. won $12 on the lottery earlier this week. If only she'd nailed one more number, there'd be an orange & wenge Roscoe heading west. Fingers are continually crossed. :)

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Greg is good people!

3. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Hey, thanks guys!! I really appreciate it.

Jerry - it was a pleasure. My philosophy is that any order is a good order :)

JK - I trust you are still an inspired Woot camper? It's FINALLY starting to wear off a little for me, I'm not playing every night like I was... but I just heard the Flecktones are coming through soon, so I'll have to get some tix and get a fresh dose of inspiration.

4. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Greg, I've worked my tail off to get ready to go to Wooten's camp. Since reading your thread you got me psyched about going. Funny thing when I get ready to go, they switch to an all instrument format, not just bass. I was loking forward to hanging with just bassists. The only "strictly bass" camp they have is a 3 week residency which looks to become really expensive. Price is $800 for the "All instrument" camp. Using that as a basis for the residency costs, I could get a Century Standard 6 for that amount of money (which I'd rather do). I'm sure Vic is cool and I'm sure I'd learn a ton, but whew I could play the Roscoe forever.

Will you be attending his camps again?

God Bless, Ray

5. I for one refuse to buy into all of the media hype around him.

:rollno:

(...yeah, he's a great guy, but his taste in beer is horrific, and totally overwhelms any positive attributes...:spit: )

;)

6. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I've got no immediate plans to go to another camp, but I'd certainly be up for one next year. I assume he'll continue to do the bass-only camps, as well, but I guess it might be spring before he does another one of those?

7. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Greg, I'd be up too for an all bass one week camp, but the choices this year are "All instrument" and "3 Week Residency". Neither of which excite me.

Gard, I wonder if you had a chance to have one beer, what would your choice be? I can't drink much but I'm curious.

God Bless, Ray

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    LilRay - stuff you learn is stuff that you have, always, and that nobody can steal from the back of your car. I definitely learned stuff (ideas and concepts way more than riffs and techniques) that deeply impacted me, for the good, as a player. If it were me, I'd go to camp AND save up for the axe I want, both :D

Greg - I have been pretty actively working to keep the inspiration going. I don't have that intense buzz that I had right after camp, but it's still going. I've been scheduling online lessons with Anthony when I can, watching bits of Groove Workshop, looking for stuff online, and playing as often as I can with the best players I can find, to keep myself lit up.

Taking Dave W's tip "read at least 8 bars per day" has really helped, too.

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup! Greg is the schizz, moves heaven and earth to help you. Best service I've ever had! :cool:

10. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Oh, my back!!

:D

Ya'll are too kind.

11. Almost anything other than that Bud Light swill Greg tries to call "beer"! :spit:

;)

...just one? Wow, that's tough...there are so many GOOD brews out there! And so many DIFFERENT types of good brews...

So...hmm...something readily available, but good?

New Belgium Fat Tire http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/fat-tire

:)

12. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    :rollno:
    There's something wrong with that site.

The beer has the word belgian in it's name but you must be over 21 to view the site.

That's not really belgian. ;)

Never heard of that beer.
    Is that american? :eyebrow:

Jeez, why did they have to do it like that... just conquer us like any other country did in history.

:)

13. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    All I heard was "blah, blah, blah... Bud Light... blah, blah, blah".

Clearly, Gard is a big fan of the Bud Light.

14. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    What I mean by that is I can't drink but one per day. If I were to visit the shop and have a beer with you, what would you have me choose?

:D

So we'll have a Bud Light?

Funny thing, My Pop put the roof on the Memphis Coors plant. He was the "go-to" on the jobsite. He got to be friends with the plant manager and during Christmas the manager gave him tons of all types of Coors stuff. Neither of us "Drink" so our hotel bathtub was full of beer. We gave that stuff to all the guys who drank that worked for Pop, all our Friends, hotel staff etc. It was hilarious.:D

God Bless, Ray

15. :eek:

See, drinking bad beer is bad for your hearing, don't drink it!!

16. Oh, in that case, we go to Natty Greene's and get the sampler to figure out which you prefer! :D

Oh HAIL no!

:spit:

There are some Coors products that are borderline drinkable, Killian's Red for example...Coors itself however...:spit:

17. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007

kesslari, I agree that edjucation last forever and can't be stolen.:p. I guess I disagree at paying 2-3K for the "residency" Vic has coming up early next year. I can take courses over a longer period with an above average instructor(I know Vic is exceptional) for the same $ and I can pay as I learn.(No rush to save large $).

If I can save 2-3K at once I'd rather get a Roscoe;) even used, but that's just my opinion (which I'd hope is a popular opinion in this forum, eh Greg?):D. I wouldn't mind going to a one week all bass camp like the one Greg attended, however being disabled I believe three weeks would be too much for me .

Here is to Vic returning to the original format "one week bass only" next fall:cool:.

God Bless, Ray

18. Tossing dollars out for a moment, the only thing I can offer is that spending an hour with Vic can lead to years of inspiration. I've been fortunate to do this twice. The second time was even more amazing than the first. He sat in on a jazz date, playing an entire set and literally knocking out everyone with his playing, enthusiasm, and smile. So...I can only imagine what spending days-at-a-time with him would be like.

That said - I can't imagine devoting three weeks of time to something like this. I just don't have the attention span to keep up. :D Personally, I'm at the point where I don't so much want to devote time to technique, theory, harmony, etc. I'd much rather get into energy, motivation, inspiration, etc. So for me - and not that it's a realistic goal - the shorter, all-instrument venue would probably be the much better choice.

Nonetheless...meandering back on-topic for a second....Greg, like Victor, is a good breed of cat!

19. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Greg rules. Though I live in Kansas, Rocket has become my faorite store. I've pikced up amps, basses, cabs, strings, and lord knows what else from them and it has always been an awesome experience.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021