Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brief review: Lakland DJ5 + Sadowsky Outboard Pre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickles, Oct 28, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Short answer, this combo yields GREAT tone!

I really like the ash/rosewood combo and the fralin single coil pickups. Has great bite and personality, and loads of the J-bass burp and growl that my Sadowsky RV5 was missing. The difference is the wood combo and especially the pickups I think. The RV5 was an outstanding bass, and if I was in a power pop band the RV5 would have been perfect, but for my current trip where I really wanted more of a classic J-bass tone, this DJ5 is a better choice. The B string on the sadowsky was better, but the DJ5's B is very good, completely workable.

The DJ5 sounds great on its own, but the outboard pre seems to groom the mids in a really nice way (even when flat) in addition to bringing the passive bass up to having a simmilar frequency response as my active basses, and adding some fatness and sparkle. I ran both bass and treble at "9 o'clock" and set the gain to match the level of my MTD (with the pre bypassed). Made for a big, fat, defined, responsive, but still classic-flavored sound.

Highly reccomended for J-bass fans looking for a 5'er, and the total cash outlay is under $1100 since I got everything used (thanks Mike Z. and Dave P.!!!).

For amps I used an Ampeg/QSC/Eden/Aguilar 6x10 setup @ roughly 900w. Strings are DR high beams. GREAT combo.

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

thanks for that review !!

i'm considering a Sadowsky outboard for my Lakland DJ4 ...
    not that it really needs it , of course .

not to derail , but ...
    i wonder if anyone has an Aguliar outboard , to compare to the
    Sadowsky ?

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Didnt the DJ come with aero pickups????

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The setup you described sounds perfect for someone who does not have a Sadowsky budget. $1,100 with everything used is pretty close to stealing! :D I have been considering a Sadowsky outboard preamp to use with my Guild Pilot since it already has active pickups. Who knows maybe Santa will make me happy. :)

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Mine was done with the Fralins from the JO model ... I guess the Dude ordered a few that way, I'm not sure what the reasoning was. Sure sounds good to me.

I guess I should call it my DJJO5.

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Note that this bass does not sound like a sadowsky. Its somewhere in between a sadowsky and an old j-bass in sound. If you wanted to get very close to the sadowsky sound you could drop a set of Roger's hum cancelling pickups into a skyline. Still wouldn't sound exactly like a sadowsky, but it'd be darn close in my estimation.

7. David....I take it you are still digging the DJ?! LOL! You got a good one for sure...for what its worth, I used my Sadowsky outboard with your bass and did pretty much what pickles is saying here....ran the bass at about 9 or 10 o clock and the treble at about 8 or 9 oclock and it was just FAT sounding without really coloring the fundamental tone of the DJ at all...I highly recommend it!! I have decided to forego the DJ 5 in favor of my Sadowsky MV5 but I have a Black DJ 4 with a maple board coming and I can't wait to try the maple with the Sad outboard!! Enjoy!!

Peace,

T

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Personally, I'm not worried about getting the Sadowsky sound. I am just interesting in getting a really good boutique level jazz bass sound at the lowest price. A quality J-bass like a DJ5 or even a good MIA Fender and a $350 Sadowsky outboard preamp sounds like it could do the trick for me. :bassist:

9. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    I have Sadowsky outboard and the Aguilar OBP-3 as the outboard put into the box. I use it with J bass clone and Yamaha TRB-5.
    I've found that Sad adds very low lows, cuts low mids and adds highs together with some "presence" type high mids. Aguilar on the other hand adds meatier lows, does not cut low mids and the highs are rather shiny, without added high mids presence. Hope it makes any sense at all.. :meh:

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi

i ordered sadowsky single coil pickups in my sadowsky uv70 metro and i don't regret it!

i prefer the sound to the more clear/slightly scooped humcancelling sound, the rv5 would sound a bit more like a classic j with the different pickups.

cheers!

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I was just about to send the RV5 in for some single coils and a VTC when I bought the DJ5 on a whim. There are enough little things I like better about it (35" scale, graphite in neck, ash/rosewood) that it became the keeper for me. The fact that it costs half what a metro does is gravy. :cool:

It is slightly inferior in fit and finish, but frankly that doesn't bother me.